Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Odds and Ends



I didn't want to go too long without updating the blog. I presume a good blog needs regular entries.

There isn't much happening right now with the transition to Wilmore. Traffic isn't high on the housefront. There were three lookers on the first two days, then nobody. While I would love for the house to sell quickly, if it did I would wonder if we underpriced it. The thing about selling and buying houses is it's easy to feel you've left money on the table. When I was a real estate broker (that feels like a totally different life) I remember seeing people panic at the last minute, wishing they had been more stubborn and made a better deal.

Today's pictures are of the the worship band as it rehearsed on Sunday morning. The key to making worship run smoothly is practice. There is no way around it. I appreciate the time band members and singers put aside. Commitment is what makes worship as good as it can be. At the worship minsitry team meeting last night(Tuesday night) we discussed how important commitment is for things like greeting and ushering and serving. The maddening roles at Grandview involve recruiting people. People are happy to greet, ush, and serve, but many don't want to commit to it on a regular basis. It makes the recruiter's service difficult.

The other picture is from yesterday (Tuesday) when I was part of career day at Hampton Elementary/Middle School (thanks for asking, Becky, it was fun). Whenever I entered a new classroom I asked the kids to guess what my career was. The most guessed occupation? Tattoo Artist. Amazing. Not a single tattoo in sight and they picked me out of the line-up. The other popular choice was police officer.

In some of the classrooms I was following Miss Johnson City, who remarked that she was being "better received by the boys than the girls." I guess I'll have to ponder that mystery for awhile.

The best question I was asked was, "Why do you do your job?" It caught me by surprise. "I do it because I believe God called me to do it. If I didn't believe that, I'd do something else in heartbeat." I'm not sure that's the best advertisment for a career on career day.

The kids impressed me. For the most part they listened attentively and asked good questions. Sixth graders are more interactive than Eighth graders, but they were mostly polite. I think the Eighth graders would have listened more intently if I had been a tattoo artist or a bouncer. I guess I'll have to face it, ministry may be fun, but it isn't glamorous.

I'll update you on my reading tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least the kids didn't say 'You're that guy from the Village People.' Now that's unglamours!

Aaron said...

That depends, are we talking about the Biker or the Construction worker?