Friday, October 05, 2007

The Groove

This past summer I complained that there was no groove in "off-season" ministry. I'm happy to report that the groove has returned; and though things are busy, they are also quite good.

Wednesday nights are full of life and smiles (as the pictures help to prove). Sunday morning worship services have been well-attended (we enjoyed our highest single month attendance record in September). Also, the Reaching Out in Relationships focus is beginning to gain a foothold (though there is still much to be done).

I say, "Viva la Groove!"

Bethany and the Bear.Karl and Shelley carefully avoiding ANY copyright infringement.Carter is either playing duck, duck, goose ... or he's lifting a college student by her hair.
Life is filled with sermon prep, lesson prep, detail avoidance, and hospital visits.

Some things that should be in the groove, however, are not. Prayer? Not as groovy as it should be. Exercise? Not very groovy either. Visits to shut-ins? Same. Rewriting and refining my dissertation? Hah!

It seems I have to choose what I'm going to do well. Some areas get neglected until I make a "left turn at Albuquerque" and change my routine. Changing my routine requires abandoning something that has been going well and letting it run on autopilot for awhile.

So it is.

I'm not preaching this week. Instead I will be teaching the "Welcome to Grandview" class during both hours. The last one was, I think, helpful. We'll see if this class has enough juice to become a part of the fabric of our church. I'm confident it will.

1 comment:

bryan said...

Long live "The Groove"!

May your ministry be like a Kool and the Gang outdoor concert on a warm June evening.