Thursday, May 08, 2008

Fire On the Mountain, Run Boys Run ...

BUFFALO ABLAZE

It's not news to you if you're in Johnson City, but Buffalo Mountain is burning. I first saw the smoke on the mountain when I was on my way home from work. I figured it was no big deal, but as the sun began to set the smell of forest fire began to engulf us.

I stole this picture from Mark Peacock's blog. Here is a picture I took with my iPhone when I went for a walk last night. Even from a distance I could see flames higher than the trees on the mountain. This morning the city is smells like a wilderness camp.
TOM SWIFT

Last week my friend, Tom Swift, spoke in Emmanuel's chapel service. Just over a year ago Tom was diagnosed with ALS. Part of his story is that, as a hospice chaplain, he was finishing up his DMin project by working on a devotional for the dying.

Tom helped Cindy and me move some of our belongings to storage back before we moved to Wilmore. Even then something was wrong but he thought it was just a bad back. We weren't' worried.

Tom delivered his message to us from his wheel chair, sharing with us the loss of his freedom to hike and kayak and to do simple things. His message was, essentially, that even in his condition he can choose to focus on the blessings instead of on the things he has lost.

He can still laugh. Pray for him.


MINISTRY and MIDDLE SCHOOLERS

I haven't taken the time to stop and share my experience as a speaker on career day at a local school.

I have to tell you; I think I've had nightmares about being in this position. There is NO profession less interesting to a middle schooler than the ministry. These kids were polite (at least the ones whose teachers threatened them before I started speaking), but there was no fascination in the room.

We speakers rotated from class to class. One guy brought a rescue dog. One guy (Jeremy) wrote a song in each class room in conjunction with the kids and then played it on his electric guitar. One speaker was the woman who runs the Johnson City Mall. All of these things are far more interesting to 7th grade boys than a minister.

One of the speakers was a soldier/mechanic. He said that every class had the same question: "How many people have you killed?" I, on the other hand, had one kid ask me "How many people have you saved." I should have said, "If that soldier killed you right now, would you go to heaven?"

At least I have lots of experience being uncool in middle school...it's just that I was hoping to let that sleeping dog lie.

1 comment:

Seven Layers said...

I am scheduled to do this tomorrow myself at Aiden's elementary school. Thanks for the heads up.