Friday, May 30, 2008

Inconsequential Thoughts

While Meghan pilots us toward home I will share minutiae I learned while enjoying our family vacation at the beach.

1. There are a lot of World Famos places at the beach. Why had I not heard of a single one?

2. This morning I saw a picture of an uncontacted tribe in the Amazon Forest. I only saw a small picture of the tribe, but I'm almost positive there was a Sleastack in the middle of the picture.

3. I'm a terrible eaves dropper. Being at the beach gave me a chance to eaves drop on a type of person I rarely encounter. I discovered there are people who peg their memories to the kind of alcohol they were drinking and to how "wasted" they were. "You remember, Bob, it was when you were drinking that brown drink." That's when the light came on for Bob. "Oh, yeah. The BROWN drink."

4. This was the first time I have been to the beach since I started shaving my head. I just slathered my head with lotion. It is easier than having hair.

5. Three people were killed in the rip tide while we were there. I read an interview with a life guard who said that from the air the rip tides are easy to spot. They frequently ask swimmers to move up or down the beach. When a swimmer refuses they simply ask for the name of whom to contact once they get dragged out to sea. Failure to hear warnings is a huge issue in our culture.

6. I saw McDonald's television commercials that were attempting to capitalize on changing & alternative lifestyles (along with non-conformity) in order to sell CHICKEN BISCUITS for breakfast. Sometimes I envy non-contact tribes in the Amazon...sleastacks and no McDonald's commercials. Must be heaven.

7. Our family had a great vacation. It as a true blessing.

No comments: