Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I'm Street Legal

Yesterday I finally got my motorcycle license (by the way, if you're going to say the word the way I grew up saying it, you have to pronounce it MOTOR-SICKLE). The process for getting your motorcycle license in Tennessee isn't hard, but it does take longer than you might expect. You have to pass the written test before you can take the driving test. Once you pass the written, then you look at the schedule and discover that the earliest available driving test is two weeks away--a two week wait to drive around the block while someone who has never ridden a motorcycle grades your ability to navigate four turns without traffic.

I think they should say, "Hey, if you can ride the bike to the written test without getting killed, then it's all yours!"

Thanks to Buddy Swain for riding my little motorcycle to the DMV. We went on the interstate (the bike is not really built for interstate speeds). The instructor wouldn't let him stand near her while she gave me the test. "You're going to have to stand over there, sir." She said, as if this was a traffic stop and she was worried he was packing.

Thanks to dad for giving me the bike (many years ago). Thanks to bro-in-law Deon for giving it back to me when he was done with it. Thanks to Cindy for not getting uptight about motorcycles (did you say motorcycle or MOTOR-SICKLE in your head just then?).

Buddy and I celebrated afterward at Dixie Barbecue.

Here's the cooooool bike. A 1975 Honda Supersport 400. I now drive a '52 Chevy truck and '75 Honda motorcycle. I am the KING of recycling!

2 comments:

bryan said...

Nice ride! Keep the rubber side down.

Herbie Miller said...

I want to see a picture of the 52 Chevy.