Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Scenes from a Dedication

I've never planned this sort of event. I spent the week with the question "Is it appropriate?" rummaging around in me. What is the appropriate level of sentimentality? What is the appropriate level of celebration? Do we mention how much big givers gave? Do they want to be mentioned or would they prefer to be anonymous?

Those questions were more stressful than I anticipated but on the night of the event I felt to me like we struck the right note. There are always things I would plan differently ... but we don't get do-overs for things like this.

All of these pictures are courtesy of Lorna. Thanks, Lorna. There was no way I could photograph this event. So, dear reader, feel free to get a brief glimpse of the big event.Tom Root and Glenn Diamond entertained us with a few songs to get the evening rolling. I enjoy Tom's music and it fit the occasion perfectly. Thanks, Tom and Glenn.I called the Pam and Ron earlier in the week to see if they would drive from Maryville for the event. They did! It was great to see them. I'm still working on getting them to move back to Johnson City. I'm seeing no signs of it yet, but I'm a man of faith. After sitting with Carla and Larry they had to be contemplating a return. Didn't they?
Here we see David and Donna chatting with Norton, the father of Charles (whose memory we honored Sunday night).
Best of friends! Helen and Bethany always light up the room.

It looks to me like Heather is sharing a secret with Ross and Gina. Most of you know the secret, but I won't put it on my blog.

Owen looks like he's thinking, "I want that balloon. I need a plan."
Charlotte and Cindy share a hug as daughter and mother of the man we honored.
Emmanuel's Dean looks like he's sharing plans with the future President of Emmanuel.
My lovely wife chats with Peggy and her precocious son (he's a riot).

Amanda and Dr. Dennis. I love this picture. Jennifer places the plaque during the prayer of dedication.

Thanks to all of you who were able to share in the occasion.

No comments: