Saturday, November 22, 2008

Enough, Already. Tomorrow's Offering

Tomorrow is the end of the "Enough" series. The sermon is almost ready ... in an ironic twist, I haven't had enough time to get it done this week. I have found, though, that when time is short the sermon still comes together. This phenomenon is odd enough that it makes me suspect I unintentionally drag the process during normal weeks. The only thing that keeps me from accepting that thought is that sometimes I get the sermon wrapped up earlier in the week only to get surprised with a funeral or something later in the week. I'll just call getting any sermon done a gift of grace and go from there.

Tomorrow's sermon opens with another trip down memory lane. I'm getting more sentimental as I get older--or maybe there are just more people to miss. I'll plan to mention some encounters I had with Dr. Bob Fife back when he was still with us. What a fine man he was.

He and Cookie Helsabeck had a club called the "Humility Club." They were too proud to let anybody else join it. Since Cookie wouldn't let me into the club after Dr. Fife died I used to tell her that once she was gone I was going to start one without her. She told me--emphatically--that I wasn't allowed do that.

On the personal news front, the Wymers have a new member of the family in the house. Arriving earlier tonight was Ray, Cindy's grandfather from New Jersey. He seems to be doing well and we're looking forward to having him living with us. I was able to get his room ready, mostly, before he arrived. I had to remove some cabinets, get a hospital style bed, do a little priming (it needs paint now), rearrange the basement, etc, etc....

We're glad the girls get to have their great grandfather around. He's always been very gracious to us. If you see him at church tomorrow, please welcome him to Tennessee!

No comments: