Saturday, November 15, 2008

Tomorrow's Offering

I didn't get any electronic copies of last week's prayer and I don't have any for tomorrow yet. Sorry. It's just harder to coordinate these sorts of things these days. Blog ranks lower than other things!

However, I will write briefly about tomorrow's sermon. I will be preaching on the story of Ruth and Boaz; more specifically on Boaz' practice of leaving grain for gleaning in his fields. I noticed something in the story this week that I've never noticed, so that's exciting. Sermon prep is always more fun when things surprise me.

The goal of the sermon will be for people to consider arranging their lives with margins in them, with time for building up others in fellowship for the sake of the kingdom of God.

I was glad to find Hoy Taylor standing beside me while I was preparing the sermon (metaphorically speaking, of course). Hoy was a friend of my dad's who lived on our street. He was Camel smoking, denim wearing, coffee drinking, metal welding, "Son of a Buck" (as he used to say). He was a quite a character and I look forward to remembering him in the sermon tomorrow.

We are getting ready for the advent season at Grandview. You will begin seeing the below picture. Ever since Matt Buckner gave me his old copy of Photoshop and taught me how to use it I have discovered my true calling. I love working on these little pictures!

For the four weeks leading up to Christmas we will focus on anticipation: the anticipation of heaven, of the poor, of the wealthy, and of Mary and Joseph as they awaited the flowering of the story of salvation in Jesus of Nazareth.

1 comment:

Eric said...

I'm looking forward to hearing from/about Hoy - he was a Character in the truest sense of the word.