Saturday, May 30, 2009

Tomorrow's Offering


Tomorrow is the last in my series on commitment. I didn't plan this as well as I should have, because tomorrow is Pentecost. We can celebrate the gift of the Holy Spirit tomorrow even though my series on the Spirit doesn't start until next Sunday. On each Sunday in June we will look at different Holy Spirit person from scripture. In order: King David, Simeon, Mary (the mother of Jesus), and the Apostle Paul. I'm very interested in what the Spirit actually did to and through these folks.

The word "spirit" has become so generic in our culture that it is beginning to fail as an effective word for communicating. Spirit can mean anything from alcohol to a person with reckless tendencies to an episode of Oprah. Throughout the series I will substitute other words based upon the Spirit's function in these people's lives. Holy Spirit will become Holy Presence, Holy Privilege, Holy Purpose, and Holy Power based upon these four great people from scripture.

I'm off to an inauspicious beginning, though, because in my newsletter article I wrote something that was just flat WRONG. That happens sometimes when you're in a hurry and you proofread for the wrong things. Grammar is important, but getting the story right is more important.

I wrote that the disciples, on Pentecost, spoke in their own language and were heard by people in the language those people heard. That sounds like I'm trying to deny the gift of SPEAKING in tongues, which (despite my inability to do so) I do not deny.

1 comment:

Robert J. Hall said...

Love the photo of the dove and overlaid words. How do you do that?

Give yourself a break. I like it that you look at grammar.