Friday, September 19, 2008

Ooops


I've bitten off more than I can chew again. I would ask for your prayers, but I'm not sure about the rule on this one. When someone keeps making the same mistake I kind of resent praying that they will do well and come out smelling like a rose. I don't want, by virtue of my prayers, to become an enabler.

So I plan to emerge from this weekend with a new resolve to say no to things. The problem is that potential commitments seem so innocent in the planning stage. Then the day comes and you realize that besides the things you were sure you could juggle, you've been thrown a couple of chainsaws as well.

No worries. Things will be fine. I'm just saying that I should know better.

Wednesday night's Two 4 Two may have been the best one yet. Ryan, Dana, Matt Buckner and the McDades combined with a host of volunteers to turn the night into a big success (special thanks to First Christian Church, as well, they provided some media help). Making the night better was the increased presence of the young men who are juniors and seniors in high schools. These guys have great leadership potential and Ryan is working hard to harness that.

Last night's Christ and Culture class seemed to go well enough. We just have one more session left, then I will have my Thursdays back (and my Friday mornings, really, because I just don't have much morning zest after the Thursday nights ... so I decided to blog ... just hoping to get the thinking gears greased).

Tonight the family and I will head down to Lake Junaleska for the Emmanuel retreat. I will speak there tonight and tomorrow morning and (hopefully) we'll have a good bit of family time down there as well. Meghan doesn't have band tonight so the whole family will be together. When we get back tomorrow I will have plenty of work left to do on the sermon and the Sunday details. I agreed to speak at the retreat, quite frankly, because I felt honored to be asked. Which is a slightly holier way of saying, "It stroked my ego."

My penance for my sin of self-aggrandizement and poor life management? I won't get to watch Florida vs. Tennessee tomorrow (something had to go!).

Back to work. I mean, off to work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm excited to have you speak at the retreat!

Eric said...

Why not hire a ghost sermon writer for the church? Make it a 2 year rotating internship for the most promising Emmanuel student. Or you could just personalize Osteen's messages - life could be so grand, brother!