Friday, January 23, 2009

Little Thoughts ... none worth their own post.

Poor Judgment...On Tuesday I took my youngest with me to look at animal costumes for an upcoming Two4Two video shoot. She was out of school. She began the snow day by getting sick, but by 4pm she seemed to be feeling great. I decided to stop at the Harley-Davidson shop on the way home from the costume store. I thought it might be fun to look at expensive machinery I can't afford (well, I could afford it, but I would have to live in a shack and eat mac and cheese...which may explain why some Harley riders look like they do). In I walked with my sweet, little, 10-year-old daughter. We looked at one bike that seemed to have more chrome than surface area. It was $28,000 (that's $14,000 a wheel). We decided that if we were going to buy one, we would buy the new fatboy. Low to the ground. Matte black finish. It looks like a piece of art.

The salesman looked at my daughter and said, "You want a poster?" "Uuhh...sure," she said, not really wanting a poster, but wanting not to disappoint him. He gave her a shiny, black, tube with a rubber band. When we got into the car she opened up the poster. It had a sleek, black Harley on it.

Oh...it also had a skinny, suggetive, girl who might be 9 years older than the girl who was holding the poster in my passenger seat. The girl was perched on the bike like an angry cat in heat.

Think I'll stick to the Kawasaki shop.

Scrubs...I've spent a couple of hours in a doctor's office over the past week. I haven't been sick. I was participating in drop-off and pick-up duty.

The experience made me feel crumudgeonly. I didn't like incessant the cheering, screaming, and clapping on the talk show that was so loud it squeezed all conversation out of the tiny waiting room. I also thought that most of the people working in the office just looked sloppy.

When did the medical community decide that thin pajamas would inspire patient confidence? Take the girl who grabs a file, opens the door, shouts a name over the din of the television, looks at the incoming patient with "I-want-to-get-off-work" eyes, takes the patient's blood pressure, tells him to wait in another room, and then drops the file in an acrylic wall-mounted file holder (then repeats the process) . Does this woman really need to be wearing frumpy scrubs, covered with an oversized UT hoody? Really? Does she get splattered with anything except "Wow. It's cold out today!"?

To be fair, two or three of the nursing staff were able to wear scrubs and still look professional. Most of them, though, looked like they either wanted to get fired; or get a big bag of chips and watch the television in the lobby.

Apologies...That's enough grumpy old man for one post. On the happier side, the cold snap didn't seem so bad to me this year. I don't know why. It's been bug-killing cold out for over a week now, and that's okay.

We didn't cancel church last Sunday, despite the ice. I don't regret having services, but I need to make sure to communicate to people that if they suspect it's too icy or snowy, they have Aaron Wymer's blessing to stay home (feels wierd to write that...why would anyone care if I permitted them to stay home?). When we need martyrs, we'll call. Until then, be safe.

We did have four people from Grandview fall on the ice Sunday morning. In each case they fell at home when they were heading out the door (or walking the dog). They are bruised, but fine.

Prayers...Cindy's grandfather is in the hospital this morning. If you think of it, say a prayer for him. Cindy got home at 3:30am after taking him to the ER last night. I should take some coffee by her office.

No comments: