Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Breaking Blog Silence

Last week I worked exclusively on the dissertation (thanks, Frank*, for preaching for me and thanks, Sam, for Two4Two help!). This week it's dissertation, sermon, and one blog post.

Doctor of Ministry dissertations (at most places) are 5 chapters long. I turned Chapter 4 in last Friday and am working on the final chapter this week. If you're the praying type, I am only too happy to ask you to add that to your prayer list.

I didn't blog last week for two reasons: 1) I really had to get Chapter 4 in by Friday and I needed every little morsel of time, and 2) there isn't much excitement in a week like that, though a couple of blog-worthy moments did arise (when I have time I might type them up, but Chapter 5 looms).

I made it home on Saturday. On Sunday morning we had our Welcome to Grandview class during both hours while Frank did the preaching. On Sunday evening we said goodbye to John and Yvonne, as it was their last Sunday at Grandview. Thankfully, we should still see them plenty. They're just going to First Christian Church where John will be on staff as Minister of Counseling and some other stuff. It's the "other stuff" that always concerns ... I think his official title, like many non-Senior ministers, will be Minister of Shifting Job Descriptions (MSJD, for short).

I have to give a special blog-thanks to Phyllis for stepping into the planning role on such short notice and doing such a fantastic job. Thanks, Phyllis!

We will miss you John and Yvonne! Thanks for sharing your gifts with Grandview.

Entertainment at the goodbye banquet was provided Becky, who always does such a great job of a) lifting the mood of a place, b) adding humor to situations, and c) jabbing tender wounds. If you've never had the chance to be roasted by Becky, I highly recommend it. She was helped by her granddaughter, Norrah.
Entertainment was also provided by Bob Hull. He sang three songs, each appropriate to the occasion. Between Bob and Becky, we had a nice program for saying bye to the Marrs.I'm just inlcuding this picture because I like it. Rollin and Arianna, awaiting Michelle's return from her travels to Gautamala to assist Don and Peggy Orth in cleaning and fixing teeth for people in remote villages.
*Frank is not really what I would call a "blog-reader," but I can thank him even if he won't see it!

No comments: