Monday, June 15, 2009

Scattered for Mission

As a father I have tried to impress upon my daughters the importance of following God's call. All the while I have known that my high ideals could (and probably would) become difficult the older they got. It's easy to talk about the importance of missions from the pulpit, but it gets a little more difficult when you put your daughter on a plane to Mexico as an intern missionary for five weeks.

The day has now arrived. Meg is on a plane from Dallas to Mexico City as I type. Anna is on her way to Knoxville (UT Vols ... the heart of the beast) with the junior high youth group. I've got one daughter at home.Meg isn't alone. She has Katy with her, and that makes me happy as well. I hope that Meg and Katy are always friends. Their adult lives will be all the richer for these experiences they will share and (hopefully) relive together from time-to-time.
Here is a picture of Anna and the junior high crew as they were leaving this morning. I can't even begin to tell you how pleased I am that they have been growing up in a church that challenges youth to focus on something besides pizza parties and banana splits (they do SOME silly things, but Dana and Ryan both focus the children/youth on the most important things).
If you want to pray for them. I will let you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am on the very beginning of my journey as a father. I admire your ability to let them follow God even when it is uncomfortable as a dad. I pray everyday my little one will be an awesome witness for Jesus. You should be proud. But I'll admit it makes me nervous...Ted

Aaron said...

It's still easier now than it will be! 5 weeks in Mex. 1 week in Knox. I may yearn for these days.