Saturday, June 26, 2010

Yikes: the sermon series

Following The Prodigal God series we will have a series that looks at some of the more scandalous material in scripture. I haven't finalized my list of texts to include. This is a huge challenge because, quite frankly, some of the material in scripture isn't fit to preach in mixed company (especially with children present). I know some branches of Christianity have a history of book burning, but I doubt any of the charred remains top the Bible when it comes to outrageous material.

This is your chance to help me out. I'd be happy for you to post a comment (or just email me) letting me know what text you think I should include. Remember, there are a few that I'm just not going to touch from the pulpit. Some texts are better examined in smaller Bible studies.

Examples of what I might, might not, or won't preach:
  • Judges 11--Jephthah's Daughter (Rollin Ramsaran preached a good sermon on this one back when I was in seminary. I may try to get him to re-preach it).
  • 2 Kings 2:23--Should Elisha Bear Children? (have no idea what I'll say about this).
  • Genesis 38--Oh No, Onan! (I'm on the fence about this one, but will probably include it).
  • 1 Samuel 18:25-27--(probably won't use this one).
  • I will use nothing from Ezekiel 16 or 23. Don't even suggest those.
Okay ... I'll take your suggestions. Thanks!

2 comments:

on the walk said...

When I taught the college Sunday school class at Grandview about ten years ago, it was all the rage to have a "life verse." One of our wiser bible scholars was always proud to declare that his life verse was Ezekiel 23:20.

As far as texts that are troubling that you really should cover, I'll give that some thought.

Ethan

windy said...

Hulu- 30 Rock- episode 21- 19:55 on. You're welcome.