Saturday, September 18, 2010

Arriving in Austria

I'm here! My luggage isn't, but that's not all that unusual. By the time I'm done wearing what I have on now ... hooo boy!

You are welcome to my new blog entry. I'm pretty sure this sign, though, means "Please don't enter." It's the door of a monastery here in Heiligenkreuz. I walked down to the monastery and took a few pictures.
But first, Haus Edelweiss and the TCM property for training pastors in Eastern Europe (and points east). There are students here from all over the area. I had breakfast with a couple from Moldova. I had supper last night with Dr. Peter Penner, who teaches here. He is German, but with some former Soviet-bloc raising (I think Uzbekistan) .

In this pic, left to right, we have Wye Huxford (stateside director of EES), Bruce Shields (president of EES), and Tony Twist (president of TCM). This is soon after we arrived.


Haus Edelweiss is as Austrian (actually, the house is of Bavarian style) as they get, I suppose. It was originally built as hunting lodge in the late 1800s. When TCM bought it, the building had fallen on hard times.But it looks great now. The building on the left is part of the original purchase. The building in the back was built in 1988.
The original house has residence upstairs, dining facilities on the main level, and a classroom downstairs.
Now to the monastery at Heiligenkreuz ... this is a view from outside the walls.
This is the view of the surrounding houses.
This is just a gate inside the monastery.
And now to a monument that commemorates the plague. These things are in just about every population center...
The prayer chapel and one of the main buildings. I'll try to post more later, but now it's time for Sunday morning worship here at Haus Edelweiss. It will be a wonderful experience, I'm sure. I'll be hearing German, Russian, and who knows what else.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Aaron, so glad you three made it there okay. It's a beautiful place...and that bldg. built in 1988 is NEW to us...ha!
Enjoy your time in Austria and Germany and come home safely.
Carol and Fred