Wednesday, September 08, 2010

On Burning Symbols

The government of the United States of America has appealed to churches and church leaders to condemn the Dove World Outreach Center (ironic name when compared with their current purposes) for their International Burn-a-Quran Day.

I'm only too happy to comply. I would condemn this action even if our President made no such request. I am confounded by any Christian who interprets the gospel as a call to badger, instead of love, our enemies. You see, at the very core of our faith is the belief that Jesus died for us while we were yet sinners. At the very core of our faith is a sermon in which Jesus tells us to love our enemies. At the core of the Apostle Paul's teaching is the call to bless those who curse us.

If we Christians believe in absolute truths (and I do) then we need to keep loving our enemies in the canon of absolute truth. If the cross is at the center of our faith, then so is blessing those who hate us.

That's my foundation for not burning the Quran. I have no other foundation than that one. I understand Terry Jones' frustration with the Islam community and their symbols. The truth is that factions of Islam are mixed up in the violence. If I were to view the problem from the standpoint of self-preservation, tribal-preservation, and national-preservation then I would be on board with Jones.

And that's my frustration with our government's appeal to the church. On what basis do they want our cooperation? On the basis of national preservation? That's the very ideal that is driving Jones.

Is it on the basis of respecting others? Okay, but I grew up in a time when hard working people and veterans were being told to shut up and let agitators burn the American Flag. I was told by the government and the media that I would be an obnoxious rube to be offended by the act of flag burning. I was told not to be so sensitive. It's only a symbol.

When Serrano (editorial remix, Thanks, Tom) the submerged a crucifix in urine, photographed it, and called it art I was told to relax (didn't tax money help to underwrite that one?). He was just practicing the American tradition of free speech. I was told to quit being a religious bumpkin, grow up, join the 20th century.

I've been conditioned from a young age to let people burn, piss on, and demean any and every symbol in the name of tolerance, maturity, and enlightenment.

Now they want me to speak out? Okay. I'll speak out.

Please don't do it, Terry Jones. In the name of Jesus of Nazareth who offers grace to all of us despite our sinfulness, please don't attack your enemies. Love Muslims. Bless Muslims. The nature of the Gospel you proclaim demands it.

Let me add this, though:

Please, Mr. President and Mrs. Secretary of State, be just as vocal regarding the powers that be in our culture, ask them to stand up against people who unnecessarily attack things that are sacred to Christians. We're growing weary of being demeaned at every turn while being asked to be the pillars that keep our critics in place.

5 comments:

Neil said...

Excellent. Thanks!

Scott Cindy said...

Aaron, well said. Very well said. Thanks. Scott

Matt said...

Amen and Amen.

Unknown said...

It was not Robert Mapplethorpe who photographed a crucifix in urine, but the artist Andres Serrano. Mr. Mapplethorpe's photographs were controversial for the explicit depiction of human activities I would rather not describe.

Aaron said...

Thanks, Tom, for the correction.

My apologies to Serrano and Mapplethorpe for confusing their iconoclasms.