Sunday, April 23, 2006

Church 2020 Conference



Yesterday was the day of the Church 2020 Conference at Emmanuel School of Religion. I forgot to take a picture, but I've uploaded this old picture from late-Winter of this year when Dr. Stanley Hauerwas came to Emmanuel to speak on the occasion of Dr. Fred Norris' retirement.

I spoke yesterday on "Intellectual Formation." It's interesting that leading a seminar is so different from preaching (for me, at least). I asked myself what the difference is and the answer turns out to be this: When I'm preaching I feel like I have the authority of scripture undergirding the things I say. When I'm leading a seminar I may use some scripture, but it feels like most of what I say is based upon personal study and experience. My experience and study just don't carry the weight of scripture.

Yesterday was fun, though. I had the chance to hear Dr. Paul Blowers speak on Doctrinal Formation. It brought back good memories of being a student at Emmanuel . . . back in the same old room with the same teacher. It was comforting.

I also got the chance to spend a little time with Ben Cachairas, minister at Mountain Christian Church in Joppa, Maryland and my predessor at Grandview. We were able to grab lunch together at Russo's and I got to pick his brain a little bit on how he structures his week. He's a busy guy, the chance to have lunch with him was a rare treat.

Now that the seminar is out of the way I just need to grade the papers from the Christ and Culture class I teach at Milligan College and then I'll be ready to prepare to transition from East Tennessee for Kentucky. These next two months promise to go quickly, leaving very little time to read, prepare to leave, and see as many folks as we can before moving.

Pray for us!

No comments: