Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The Easter Party



Easter was great at Grandview this past week. The congregational singing, the choir (in both services), the massive (for us) choir at the end of the 11am service singing Handle's Messiah, the record numbers . . . some Sundays just make my spirit soar.

We broke 400 this week for the first time. The official "in sanctuary" number was 431. This number, however, was skewed by the fact that some people came to two services. This number doesn't include the number of children we had on Easter. I haven't received those numbers yet.

This break-through was made possible by adding a Sunrise Service. This reminds me that we need to think seriously about adding a third service. The tricky part is adding a third service without wearing out our musical talent--the other tricky part is my Sabbatical. But how impressive would it be for Grandview to add a third service while their minister is gone for a year? That would be an amazing statment of commitment to moving the church forward.

My Dad and his wife were at the service this Sunday and told me several times that they could see that the Spirit of God was present. This isn't something my Dad says lightly. In fact, it's the first time in my now 14 years of ministry that he has visited my church and gone away saying that. It really was a special day, a day that reminded us all of how gracious God has been to us at Grandview.

No comments: