Thursday, May 24, 2007

Closing Shop

With the end looming for "The Wymers in Wilmore: A Year at Asbury Seminary," I'm sitting in front of the reflecting pond that is my Dell Latitude D620 laptop computer. My thoughts:
  • To the faithful (and unfaithful) readers of this blog: Thanks. Besides being a small way of keeping in touch, this space has been good for processing the events of the year. It has also been good, I think, for helping me to retain memories.
  • To the people of Grandview: I'm looking forward to being back home with you. In this case, absence has made the heart grow even more fond. See you in one week. Thanks for supporting the church and for supporting the idea of sabbatical. Your kindness has been blessing to me and my family.
  • To the faculty and staff of Asbury: Thanks for all you do to keep a seminary up and running. I know it has been an exceptionally difficult year in the various Asbury front offices. Your ministries have blessed me. Thanks for wading through all of the difficulties that are a part of keeping any institution functional.
  • To my Beeson brothers and sisters: Thanks for making this a good year. I look forward to watching you all live into the ministries you've been entrusted. Thanks for showing me that Wesleyan hospitality.
  • To my family in Indiana: It was nice being only 3 1/2 hours from you. Now we go back to 7 hours. Come see us. (to my family in New Mexico: you won't even notice the change).
  • To my family in my house: Thanks for being so great about this huge disruption in our lives. I'll never forget the first time we drove through Wilmore together, Cora throwing up in the back seat, the rest of us wondering if this could really happen (Meg hoping that it wouldn't). Well, it did, and you made the best of it. You're great.
  • As the weather heats up and the summer arrives, the readership of the blog is taking a serious nose dive. Also, with no more cool trips to London, Houston, or Seoul on the horizon there just isn't as much to write about. Which brings me to the following question:
  • When I return to the ministry at Grandview, would it be worth my time or yours for me to continue blogging?
  • You can email me your thoughts privately or hit the comment button. I am interested in what kind of content you enjoy, how often you check the blog, etc...
  • I have not decided if I should start a new blog or just be done with it. It does take a good bit of time. I don't consider it wasted time--even so, I'm not sure it's exceptionally well spent time. Let me know what you think. If you don't comment I'll assume that closing shop is the best thing to do! Which is fine.
  • The year isn't over yet. Stay tuned.

11 comments:

Herbie Miller said...

Aaron,

I always enjoy seeing that you have a new blog entry. I am a faithful reader and would continue to be one if you chose to write. However, I know that it takes time to be a blogger, and I would understand if you quit. I, for one, think this is a tool that could be used for the Grandview congregation to stay connected around an extra or para homiletic message. If this can be part of your workday that benefits the community, then do it. But if this a black hole that eats too much of your time and doesn't bring about an upbuilding of community, then ditch it. (By the way, is there a way for you to measure how many people click on your blog?)

I hope to read more of your blogs.

Herbie

Anonymous said...

Aaron,

I really enjoy your blogs. I especially appreciate insight into what you are currently reading and seeing the process of your thoughts in response to prayer, sermons, etc. I would love to see you continue this venue of ministry--and yes, I do think it is a ministry. I know that Wendell Berry wrote one poem every Sunday for one year in a collection called _A Timbered Choir_. Perhaps a similar option for you? Whatever you decide, I (and many others) appreciate your dedication to keeping this public journal in your physical absence.

Peace! HMH

bryan said...

Re-name the blog, and keep writing as what you write is worth reading.

God Bless,
Bryan

Micah said...

The Weedman Family feels more connected to you and Grandview by reading this blog.
Your insights, humor, photos and written prayers make our Internet surfing (addiction)seem more justified. So our vote is that you keep up with some kind of writing.
Micah suggests a new sign for your office door at the church: I'm either praying, sleeping or blogging.

Miss you--glad you had a good year.
Jo Ellen and Micah

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog starts every work day for me. As a faithful reader, it has been a blessing for me to share in this experience. Whether you continue or stop this blog is your decision. Thank you for the experience and the blessings that we have received as we have shared in your joy, pain, and adventures of the last year.
Also, congratulations on your sucess at Asbury. We look forward to your return, but know in your absence, we have been blessed by the Ministry that you have created.
Marvin

Anonymous said...

I'll prefer the person to person blog when you get here.

Anonymous said...

Aaron,

I vote for the blog to continue. As a former member of Grandview and possibly a member again by the end of summer, I love your humor, insight, and comments. I know it is alot of work so dont overwork yourself but I do enjoy it.

love you, melissa

Anonymous said...

Scott and I check the blog each day. Like others have spoken, you need to decide whether it takes too much time or, as you said, it helps you sort out some of your thoughts and ideas. I for one think that you keep up well with the new literature and thinking and have good opinions about them so that helps us.

Cindy Schade

Anonymous said...

If you want to continue do so,many of us have enjoyed reading even thou we don't commit very often.It has helped to keep up with you and yours.We will enjoy your return to TN. God's Blessings on all of you.
Pam

Anonymous said...

Aaron, if at all possible, please keep writing your blog. As a distant Aaron fan, I love reading your thoughts-it ranks right up there with Gator basketball! I am sometimes challenged, often amazed, and deeply blessed by your writing (or am I thinking of Leroy Garret?) Love, Clark H Scott

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. America needs honest, contemplementary young writers like you. Laura and I enjoy reading your blog each night before going to bed.