Friday, May 04, 2007

It's Official: I'm ABD (all but dissertation)

Our last class began with Dr. Baucum receiving thanks from the Beeson program for being instrumental in bringing Cantalamessa to campus earlier this year. Then we launched into the final three sermons of the year.Alicia presented a sermon on Joseph from Genesis. She drew interesting parallels between modern examples of people with a favored upbringing who were able to make the journey from the arrogance of youth to the wisdom that sometimes comes from experience.
Bryan preached a sermon that was waaaay better than his attempt to pay up on the Ohio State vs. Florida wager from earlier in the year. He tried to pass off a plain white t-shirt with a blue "magic marker" M in the middle as a Michigan shirt. On the back of the shirt he labeled the M as standing for mediocre or Michigan. Hmmmm. Does OSU stand for Over-Stated & Unsuccessful? (look...I've got work to do...that's the best I can do right now!)

In his mind the debt is paid. All I can say is that it is a good thing I was supposed to critique his sermon and not his fidelity to the wager he instigated! The sermon was excellent.
Jason ended the year for us with a fine sermon on the "Unburied Bones of Joseph." Interestingly, he was the first one to preach to us this year. Nice symmetry.
Last night the girls and I were able to make it to a restaurant near I-75 to meet my dad, Wendy, and the Vorholzers for supper. We had a good time. They are on their way to Johnson Bible College for the graduation of Richard Uriah, a friend of the family who lives in India.
The girls had a great time. The only one missing was Cindy, who is in New Jersey visiting her grandfather (he's in the hospital).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, my friend. ABD (for now) sounds quite nice! It's been a long year, Aaron -- thanks for keeping us all up to date on your work. God's peace, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Considering that had I not been waylaid by this ministry stuff, I would have been lawyer. That being said, using my latent gifts and graces, the shirt in question:

- Was a Michigan shirt.
- Like many Michigan shirts, had an M on the front.
- Was homemade BUT under the terms of the original bet, origin of the shirt was not specified.
- Was sufficient in fulfilling the terms of this noxious situation.

Pax,
Bryan