Thursday, March 20, 2008

Image Management

I chickened out yesterday (My apologies to chickens, I am stereotyping you unfairly, some of you might be very, very brave ... how would I know?). I posted an entry that I intended to be funny (In fact, it was funny). Humor is a difficult beast, however.

When I tested the humor on a few people at church there were laughs, but they were awfully nervous laughs (My apologies to you who are nervous, please don't take offense. Some of my best friends are nervous). Broad political discussions ensued (Writer's Note: the word "broad" in this context means widely diffused, of great breadth and has absolutely no gender implications). The discussions were meant to defend the presidential candidate that was the foil in my attempt at humor.

It was just political humor. Political humor has a long-standing and proudless history in this nation. Some of our best jokes are based on presidents, ex-presidents, and their failed strategeries. This year, however, there is a new element of danger in political humor. In the past all major presidential candidates were white, male, Christians (My apologies to white, male, Christians. I realize that the state of the nation today is not entirely your fault, though you really should take your share of the credit. Please know that some of my best moments in life have been as a white, male, Christian). We've been able to make as much fun of these candidates as we wanted, without fear of being labeled anything other than clever or stupid.

Some of you may be wondering what the big deal is. If everybody gets away with political humor, shouldn't Aaron get away with it? The problem is that I'm a minister and, for better or worse, ministry requires an amazing amount of image management.

It's hard to be heard from the pulpit if someone thinks you're not on their side politically--especially if we mix undertones of racism or sexism into the stew. So, when I make jokes I feel the need to be full of disclaimers that bankers and construction workers don't have to make.

Let me state, once and for all, my political position on the upcoming election. Let it never be said that Aaron Wymer is more concerned about being politically neutral than about standing strong in the political arena. Image be ... well ... danged. I'll just state my position and let the CHIPS fall where they may (My apologies to fans of Eric Estrada. I know that he carried that show. Ponch made John look like window dressing).

Obama? Clinton? McCain? The candidates with no shot?


Drum roll, please:


I love Jesus (and in my best moments I live up to that statement).

Sorry. I don't want to lose my tax contempt status.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo!! Well said!! Beautifully (and politically correctly) worded!! LOL

Anonymous said...

I found your previous entry funny, just so you know. I didn't get to read it until a few moments ago (the wonders of rss feed).
You should read the transcript of the speech at The New York Times. If you have time to read 8 pages...
When I started reading this entry, I had an idea of what you were going to say - the image thing. I have to say, you do an excellent job. I think people would be very suprised how diverse Grandview is in our politics and theology. You, my friend, have a tough balancing act.