Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Feeling Relieved

For those of you who didn't happen to be at Grandview on Sunday morning (you can download the sermon HERE once the sermon is up on the website), I need to give a little background for this story. The subject of the sermon was the story of redemption ... the BIG story of redemption. I was arguing that the story of faith/redemption involves an almost unending series of question marks, followed by exclamation points. Will God deliver? God delivers! I began the story with Abraham and too briefly continued the pattern through the story of Israel, the life of Mary, and the life and death of Jesus [Cross (?) and Resurrection (!)].

To aid the telling of the pattern I used a visual aid. I had an 11x17 piece of paper with a question mark on one side and an exclamation point on the other.

After the first service our own Dr. (2b) Heather pulled me aside and said, "You need to know about a punctuation mark called the interrobang. It's a question mark and exclamation mark all in one!"

I thought that was really cool. I even mentioned the interrobang during the 11am service. I didn't, however, mention in the Table service. Why? Because I was overtaken with the fear that Dr. (2b) Heather was PULLING MY LEG!

What if she made it up, as a joke, and then I went up in front of a room full of people and started babbling about the "INTERROBANG?!" Fear seized me because it would have been an exceptionally funny hoax.

Thankfully Dr. (2b) Heather is a kind person. Her witness has now been confirmed by other witnesses ... and I have a new symbol for faith!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would never pull your leg, especially when it comes to grammar. I take my grammar very seriously. :)

Aaron said...

Thanks ... it would have been a classic prank, though ...