Friday, August 21, 2009

Catching Up...

Sometimes I REALLY like how a promo-picture comes out. This one is one of my favorites. I like the feel, the color, the and the "upwardness" of this slide (coming to a website and morning announcement slideshow near you). I need to thank Matt Buckner for opening the world of Photoshop to me. Thanks, Matt!
I don't have a sermon series slide to show you. This Sunday's sermon is a stand-alone. I'll be preaching on Ichabod, a character from the Old Testament. His name meant, "God has abandoned us." I think that's a pretty lousy name.

If you have a favorite name (good or bad) please share it with me (you can leave the comment), it might make it into the sermon. There is only one requirement: you have to have actually MET the person you name, or be able to point me proof that the name really exists. I don't want a bunch of Lemonjello and Orangejello comments! I already plan to mention Trivia Riddle, Will Power, Ivan Odor, and Harry Pitts (Harry is a minister in Lebanon, Indiana). Now to various fun things that happened this week. I had the opportunity to speak at Milligan's College's fun fresheman day at Doe River Gorge. They end the day with worship. I'm always a little intimidated when I speak to an all-college crowd, but things seemed to go well. They were warmed up by a David Butzu led worship time (David is the worship guy at Hopwood Christian Church, he's in the above picture). He did an amazing job of bringing various worship cultures together in a fresh setting.

On Sunday night the church gave me a little celebration for the completion of the D.Min. degree. Tom Root sang some Root-Originals for us and Buddy and Becky Swain made us all smile with their rendition of a My Fair Lady inspired spoof on my doctoral work. Buddy played the part of me while Becky played the part of Eliza DoVeryLittle. They are amazing.

See. They made all of us smile.

On Wednesday Cindy and I celebrated our 20th Wedding Anniversary ... a little bit. It's a bad week for people who work at Milligan to have a wedding anniversary. Once all of the students get back and settled we'll have a better chance to celebrate!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

As incredible as it seems, my mother's maiden name was Georgia Queen. Her biological last name was Wiley (she was adopted by the Queens) So...Georgia the Wiley Queen! I think it's the best name ever (but then I'm prejudiced!).

Anonymous said...

I went to high school with Cookie Fortune. She played the xylophone in the band :)

Anonymous said...

I should have left my name in the previous comment (Heather H:)

Adam Bean said...

Howard Crapps. It is real, and yes he does.

ms. vicky said...

I have an aunt who name is Zollie Zerue. My grandmother loved unusual names.

Anonymous said...

There were some students that were triplets, 2 girls and a boy: Arbadella, Bardella, and Markadella. They just called the boy Mark. Lisa Hall