Friday, October 27, 2006

Blog Tag: Book List

I've only just learned that I was "blog-tagged" by Nolan Donald. This means that I'm supposed to answer these questions regarding books. And, just like in most public discussion, we aren't allowed to use the Bible. This restriction is either meant to keep us from being overly pious or to keep us from lying--I'm not sure which.

One book that changed your life:
I've never read a book and then done an immediate 180, however, I'm going to call this one a tie between The Spirit of the Disciplines by Dallas Willard and The Living by Annie Dillard.

One book you've read more than once:
This is easy: The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevski (who can understand that book the first time through? I wasn't even sure who the lead character was until I figured out the whole diminutive name thing.)

One book you want on a desert island:
I've never read it, but I suspect I would want something like Castaway Survivor's Guide by Cory Storm.One book that made you laugh:
I can't remember the authors' names, but it was called That's Incurable! It had chapters such as, "Ten Diseases You Would Be Better Off Not Knowing About".

One book that made you cry:
I presume my checkbook doesn't count, so the saddest, most touching, book I've ever read was The Diary of a Country Priest by Georges Bernanos.

One book you wish had been written:
So Your Church Has Decided to Build -or- Double the Estimates: A Guide to Listening to Architects.

One book you wish had never been written:
The Prayer of Jabez by Bruce Wilkenson

One book you're reading right now:
I think I'll start reading The Way of the Lord: Christian Pilgrimage Today by Tom Wright.

One book you've been meaning to read:
The Lord of the Rings series by JRR Tolkien. Kevin Harkey tells me that they are the most important books of the 20th century and all of my preacher friends have read them. I've got to get past my fear of fantasy books.

Tag Five Others: (Abby and Eli, you'll have to tell your dad about this, he won't find out unless you do!) Gary Hook, Amber Lee Peace, Travis Muse, Trav Wilson, Herbie Miller

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hum...how sad no Graham Green makes the list ;-)

Aaron said...

Nate,

It pained me to leave _The Power and the Glory_ off the list. I also wanted to include _The Idiot_.

Alas, the tag didn't include the question "best book" you've read.

I would tag you, but you're sensible enough not to have a blog

Anonymous said...

Ah, the blessed anonymity of the blogless life....

Thanks for posting your answers -- I appreciated your response.

Anonymous said...

By the way, Wymer, I've got your copy of The Living, in case you've been looking for it.

To get it back, you have to come visit (all 5 of) us in grand ol' Kankakee...

Anonymous said...

Just curious - why the Prayer of Jabez? Not my favorite, but an interesting quick read. If you want to cheat, I have the Lord of the Rings cassette tape box set by the BBC.;)
Eric

Aaron said...

Eric,

Jabez was, for the minister, what some of the wacky herbal-remedy stuff is for doctors. We had to hear about it over and over despite the fact that the book extrapolated way more from that text than a careful reading will allow.

If I told someone to pray the prayer of Jabez it would be like telling them to take a sugar-pill when they need major surgery (i.e. Pray that God will expand your borders vs. take up your Cross and follow him).

Wesley said...

This is more like undergraduate trivia (or even informed high schoolers!), but Tolkien and C.S. Lewis were great friends. Tolkien is largely responsible for Lewis finding Jesus. The Screwtape Letters are dedicated to Tolkien.