Monday, October 09, 2006

I Got to See the Gators Play--Live and In Person!


It has been about 12 years since I made it to a Gator football game. Being in the ministry tends to limit one's ability to travel to Gainesville, Florida on a Saturday and then make it back to Johnson City to preach on Sunday morning. When my college roommate, Rob, called and told me he had tickets to the LSU vs. Florida . . . I decided to go. It was, after all, a very big game for us.I got a cheap flight out of Indianapolis. This allowed me to visit my brother and his family on Thursday night. I got to see his kids on the new bag swing that they call the "Vine." This picture is from the bottom of the hill looking up at Ethan and Marcus at the apex of their flight. Pretty high for a couple of kids, eh?
On Friday morning I went to breakfast with Eric and his friend, Phil. Phil goes to the former church of my fellow Beeson Pastor, Matt Scholl. It's a Methodist Church in Mooresville, Indiana.
Then I went by Eric's office. I thought I had a lot of paper work! My wonderful sister-in-law, Missy, then took me to the Indianapolis International Airport.
I then flew to Jacksonville, Florida where my host family, the Dillards, took good care of me. Here they are taking me out for pizza (and it was really good pizza, too!). Rob is driving, the boys are Dalton (on left) and Jackson (on right), and waaaaay in the back you can see Joelle.
Jackson used visual aids to predict a Gator victor over the LSU Tigers.
Rob and I made the trip to Gainesville on Saturday morning--courtesy of four LSU fans who let us ride in their car. Rob is an IRS attorney. I am a minister. Nothing kills a party like having to haul the two of us someplace. Special thanks to the LSU fans who all treated us well.

Below you can see ESPN GameDay's Chris Fowler signing the back of somebody's shirt.

I had to make a trip to Century Tower, one of UF's landmark buildings. I'm not mad, I'm just trying to aim the camera and take the picture!
I also wanted to get a picture of Peabody Hall. This is the building where I met Cindy (in class) 21 years ago . . . it was just before the LSU game that year. Cindy and I met in Anthropology 1101 (Dr. Rice was the professor).
Rob and I got lunch at Leonardo's Pizzeria (I know . . . pizza two days in a row . . . I was in heaven). Then we met up with Joelle. She drove separately because it was important to her to be a good mom. She stayed in Jacksonville on Saturday morning just long enough to coach one soccer game, then attend another. With Jackson and Dalton's soccer careers firmly established, she made it to Gainesville just in time for the game.
Cindy used to be in the band, so I thought of her when they came out in formation.
Then I got to enjoy a sight that has been a long time in coming. The Swamp came alive for the big game. It was the second largest crowd ever.
Rob and Joelle kept me safe in the midst of ravenous Tiger fans.Just like old times . . . well, not exactly like old times. These two roommates have aged just a liiiiiiittle bit.
Gators Win! Gators Win! Gators Win!
It was good to be back on campus, but the students look the same age as when I left! While there I was struck by how fortunate I was to have the opportunity to attend the University of Florida. If I applied today I wouldn't get in. The average applicant admitted to the 2004 freshman class had a high school GPA in the range of 3.8-4.3 and SAT scores in the range of 1200-1370 and ACT scores 26-30. My scores were . . . ummmmm . . . less than that.

When I got back to Indianapolis my dad picked me up. We had a nice lunch (just the two of us, that's a rarity!) and then I was off to Wilmore.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! It's so exciting to see your allegiances in person! Also, can I use "Rob is an IRS attorney. I am a minister. Nothing kills a party like having to haul the two of us someplace." In my quote of the day? They are anonomous. No, I cannot spel.

Aaron said...

Help yourself to the quote. No anonymity necessary. Good to hear from you. I hope New Zealand is surviving your assuault!