Monday, October 23, 2006

I interrupt the London Reports for . . .


While we were in London the board of Asbury Theological Seminary got together (in the Atlanta airport, I think) to determine the next step in the seminary's future. The news was not good for President Jeff Greenway. He resigned. More than that I cannot say. One hears things about what did and didn't happen and what would and would not be best, but as an outsider I recognize it all as hearsay.

What I can say, without hesitation, is that whatever the reason (or reasons) for the controversy, the board was pretty ham-handed in its execution on this. Nobody looks great in the wake of it.

Dr. Greenway is the man on the right, holding the Bible.

The silver-lining is that Dr. Ellsworth Kalas is the interim president. Those of you who are faithful readers of this blog know that I find Dr. Kalas to be an impressive man. Hopefully he can lead the board and the faculty in a harmonious and helpful direction.

When we heard the news we were still in London and one of our selfish concerns was that Kalas might not have the time to lead our preaching class through to its completion. We met today (I'll blog it later) for preaching and he may have to reschedule some classes, but he can stick it out.

So, the regime change is underway.

No comments: