Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Baucum's Preaching Class

Today we began our ascent into our next preaching class, led by Dr. Tory Baucum. You may remember him as the professor who led our trip to London.We will be focusing on "logos, ethos, and pathos" as the three building blocks of the sermon.
I felt like my Beeson brothers and sister were feeling pretty good about the class. I think I'll appreciate Tory's approach to homiletics. He believes that all of the techniques are secondary to two things: 1) the character and life of the preacher, and 2) whether or not the preacher has taken the time to stop and hear what God has to say to the congregation.
He gave us extra homework to do between now and Thursday, which is fine . . . I'm ready to think about something besides how far off the mark I am with what I've done on my dissertation so far.
This picture, really, is just like ALL of the other class pictures I've posted. Although, if you look closely you will see an extra student. Next to Alicia is "David," whose real name is "Chong" (I think). He's a professor in Korea who is on sabbatical and sitting-in with us.

No comments: