Thursday, February 15, 2007

Howard and Donald's Wild Ride

In an earlier post I lionized Howard Shaffer while wishing I had the picture of the time he rode the Montu roller coaster. Well, thanks to Grandview administrative assistant, Carla McKinney, I have the picture!

For those readers of the blog who don't know, Donald is on the left and 90-year-old Howard is on the right. This was when I realized Howard wanted to keep going. Magnificent. His face says it all.I wrote a blog entry on Howard a couple of weeks ago. It elicited more responses than any other post I've written. Though the replies tended to be complimentary to me or Cindy or Grandview, they were really commentaries on how loved Howard was. Not all of you read the comments that are attached to these posts so I will include some of them here. There are some beautiful memories in these comments:

Cindy Schade

Aaron, I cried as I read to Scott your comments. Scott and I, when we were first married and attending Grandview, sang in the choir. Mary and Howard picked us up each Sunday afternoon, and what a fun time. They, along with Donald, also showed up on our church doorstep in Selston, England. Thanks for putting into words our emotions.

Anonymous said...

He was such a fine example of true Christianity. He taught us love and faithfulness by example. He will always be remembered and loved by many. Pam

Scott Wakefield said...

Howard was exceedingly gracious, constantly smiling, and often teary with love and affection for people. He and Mary took in my parents and me as a young professor family at Great Lakes Bible College. They were part of a faithful generation of Christians who served without fanfare and didn't wait for a church program for the chance to hospitably love and mentor younger Christians to do kingdom work. He and Mary were parental in their care and affection for my parents. Thanks, Howard and Mary.

Melissa Noble said...

Years ago I began working at Milligan College. Since I have a great love of sports I attended several basketball games. Also in attendance was the sweetest couple I had ever observed. It was obvious both were late in years so getting in and out of those bleachers was not easy. But each time I watched as the (true) gentleman helped his wife to her seat. Taking care of her first. At one game I purposely sat close to them so I could strike up a conversation. Well, that didn't take long. :) I became well acquainted with Howard and Mary Shaffer. Then years later I was overjoyed to find out that they attended the church I had finally settled on. I have been blessed by several people in my life but two men stand out the most. My daddy and Howard Shaffer. Imagine how odd I felt being notified on January 31 that Howard had passed away. Because most of my day had been filled with memories of my own father who passed away on the same day 20 years ago. :) Thanks Howard, I love you!

Anonymous said...

We thank you Aaron for your words and message even from afar. Lisa and Amanda Norris, Florida

Jan Weaver said...

We read your comments and it seems you knew Howard well. I knew him in Lansing as director of the church choir where he and Mary sang many years ago. I have fond memories of the times we had together singing and just being friends. We have shared so much in the past- he is being missed - but I'll see him soon.

Marjorie "Deb" Shaffer Hoag said...

Thank you, Aaron, for this tribute to my dad, for your fine message at his memorial service, for your friendship with him both as his pastor and as his personal friend, and for the steadfast support you gave him as he struggled to carry on after Mother's death. Since I live so far from JC, I was always so grateful to you and Cindy, Donald, and the many special caring sisters and brothers at Grandview for the love shown my parents. The Grandview people are the most thoughtful and giving souls I have encountered. I am overwhelmed by their love and support. God is so good! He gave my dad a long and beautiful life and has now welcomed him into His heavenly fold. I rejoice in Dad's journey - he fought the good fight and has entered into Glory!

In the grip of His grace - Marjorie

Linda Lawson said...

I think Howard is what we all want to be when we are old -- loving, friendly, tender-hearted, forgiving, fun, engaged with life. It seems like it would be a rare thing for someone who enjoyed his life so much to be so prepared to part with it. It also occurs to me that Howard didn't get to be the Howard we knew and loved by waiting until he got old to be that person. There's a lesson in there. We sure will miss him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaron - Thanks for your tribute to Howard. He was a precious person. I don't know if you noticed that John (my son) was at the funeral. When I phoned and told him that Howard had died, he, of course expressed his sadness, but then he said, "mom, I'm so glad I got the chance to tell him how I felt about him." I asked him when that was, and he said he had talked to Howard when he and Laura were in at Christmas. I asked John what he said to Howard, and he said that he had thanked him for being a role model, being a good friend, etc. (JOhn used to visit the Shaffer's with boys youth group, and he also cut their grass for several summers) I asked what Howard had said in response, and John said that he said, "Well, John... I think alot of you too". I will ever be thankful for the Christian role models that have "been there" for my kids. As was said at his funeral, Howard wouldn't have been comfortable with all of the wonderful things that were said about him, but he really was an example of Christ living in us and through us, making a difference in the lives of others and, thus, the Kingdom of God. Howard defied any "generation gap":) -- I think that's just what God had in mind:)

Aaron said...

Janie,

Well said...especially the "generation gap" thing. My girls loved being around him. He had a way of making them smile--shoot, of making all of us smile.