Monday, February 05, 2007

Colts Win!

Well there it is Vol Fans! Here is a picture of Peyton Manning winning the big one! Growing up in Indy I always wanted us to have a football team. Once WIBC radio invented a fake Indianapolis team called the Indianapolis Lazers. They proceeded to broadcast a mythical game between the Lazers and the Cincinnati Bengals. I thought it was real. I stood at the kitchen counter and listened like I had been a life-long fan. I was crushed when Pat McInally (I don't know how to spell the name) kicked a field goal to defeat the Lazers in the closing seconds.

I was even more crushed when my Mom told me it was fake. I don't remember when I found out Santa Clause wasn't real. I DO remember when I found out the Indianapolis Lazers weren't real.

I was thrilled when the Colts ditched Baltimore in the middle of the night to make Indy their home. There had been talk of the Saints coming, but it turned out to be a ploy by the owner of the Saints to get a better deal in New Orleans. When talk of the Colts began I thought it was just that. I didn't think it would happen. Our newly built "Hoosier Dome" was going to sit empty, I thought--or that, as one news reporter commented, it would be "the world's nicest tractor pull stadium."

And now the Indianapolis Colts are for real. Indy finally has a championship in a major league, and it couldn't have been with more respectable guys. Tony Dungy has been the model of what it means to live one's faith in a place where faith isn't respected. He's not "in your face" about it, nor is he unwilling to speak about it.

And, despite his being Vol, I'm pleased for Peyton Manning. I'm glad that at long last it isn't just his feet that are happy!Watch out . . . the Indiana Pacers are only two games out of the lead in the NBA's Eastern Division! The Sports Year of Aaron continues . . .Colts Champs! Gator Football Chomps! Gator Basketball Chomps and currently ranked #1.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This isn't my sports year. Being a UK fan, it's been a sad sad basketball season.
I can give you a curt nod though, to your bball boys. I know Lee H from home, and he's a pretty cool guy.

Aaron said...

Lee Humphrey is shooting the lights out this year. He's one of two Tennessee born players for the Gators (the other is Corey Brewer).

Thanks for the nod!