Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Grandpa? Is that you?

Got a call from my sister tonight. She wondered if I felt like having a good chuckle. I, of course, did feel like having a good chuckle. Then she really surprised me. She read me a story from the Indianapolis Star. You can read the whole article by following this link.

For your convenience I've copied the first couple of paragraphs into this blog. The reason the article is interesting is because Warren Mason is my grandpa.



Warren Mason gets his meals where he can.

The 90-year-old lives alone and gets around his Speedway home by wheelchair. Though he has caretakers who will sometimes make him a meal, Mason said, he often relies on other sources.

"It all depends on what people might bring in," he said. "I have family around, and occasionally they'll stop by and bring me something."

Mason still eats three meals a day. But, as with many aging Hoosiers, traveling to a senior center or church that provides group meals is not an option. Certain meals are easier to catch than others, and affordability is often paramount.

The needs of seniors are changing, and Central Indiana's food programs must grow with them in order to stay viable, according to a study released today by the Indianapolis Retirement Home Fund.

The article goes on to decry the elderly population's difficulty in accessing food. I didn't know these things about my grandfather. He always seems to be surrounded by food and people when I'm up there. He has 24 hour care. My uncle, his son, regularly spends the night after working at his job all day.

The IndyStar website allows people to comment on their articles. You can find those by following this link. Apparently my family has offended "Bob," who wrote:

"The family must be real scum to leave this guy on his own. I'm sure they just want the taxpayers to do what they should be doing. Selfish, self centered trash."

Gee, Bob. Thanks.

My Grandfather is a good man. He never has to go without food, or family for that matter. He has 12 grandchildren (15 if you count a family that isn't blood related, but that is part of the family anyway). I'm thinking the reporter took some shortcuts for this story. If the reporter had gone to my Grandfather's house he would have seen a different story. So, worry not, dear reader. If the rest of my family fails (very unlikely), then Grandpa is welcome at my house. He won't go hungry or homeless.

I've included some pictures from the 90th birthday party at Chapel Rock Christian Church last fall. My aunt put the party together. My family and I traveled 4 hours to be there. There were about 40 or 50 adults there. It was a good day. I think there were 14 grandchildren there and I'm not sure how many great-grandchildren (maybe 20?).

This picture is of Grandpa's two children and their spouses. My mom (his daughter) died almost five years ago, but my dad and his wife continue to do what they can with him.
This is me and my family with Grandpa. Bob was probably writing about me. I live far away and don't bring any food. If he starts running out, though, I promise to do what I can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite class at IU was Sensation and Perception, a psychology class. The incongruous perceptions regarding Grandpa's care have certainly caused a sensation! I guess this is another 'nugget' to tuck in the back of my memory, hopefully pulling it out if God allows me to reach his age. I'll probably just end up hitting Katherine on the head with my 'nugget,' unfortunately.