Friday, April 04, 2008

Wheels Keep on Spinning

My sister once told me that if she wrote a book about the easiest years to be a parent she would call the book Between Diapers and Car Keys. That title stuck with me. For years now I have appreciated the fact that Cindy and I weren't changing diapers or worrying about what might be happening on the road while one of our own pilots a vehicle.

Those days ended on Wednesday evening, about 3:30pm, when Meghan got her license. She aced the test, according to the test giver/driving instructor. She's a good driver and I'm confident that she's mature enough to handle the responsibility.

Life as a parent continues to surprise. Parenting starts off with accepting full responsibility for another human being. There have been times when I struggled under the load of that responsibility. But then they start to grow up and you find that, for the sake of their health and maturity, you have to give that responsibility over to them. Thanks, Meg, for being easy to trust.

4 comments:

bryan said...

Congrats Meg!

Anonymous said...

Wow Aaron, I remember when she was born! We're not getting older -- are we?

Christie Graham

Aaron said...

Christie,

This IS a surprise! Welcome to the blog. Have no fear. I am growing older. You are not.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Meg! Your parents are blessed to have a trustworthy daughter. Stay that way. :)