Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Please Be Not Understanding Carefully

The NPR show, "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me," reported that one Chinese restaurant, to prepare for the influx of foreign visitors to the Beijing Olympics, wanted to translate their name in order to be readable to English speakers. The owner decided to type the restaurant name into a website that translates Chinese into English. He took the results to a sign-maker.

The English name of the restaurant? "Translation Server Error."

In honor of the difficulty of language and the translation of language, I'm posting the following pictures from www.engrish.com. Special thanks to Lorna for the tip ....
Hey, if you've been without it, then you understand this sign.

I don't recommend the poo poo platter at this place.


Put the cap back on because ... well ... that way Whitemen can't clump.


Where there's a throne, there is a kingdom.


The Chinese are very sensitive to their environment.


Poor Pumbah, he's about to be Pork Loin.


I'm thinking of putting this on the church sign.


Hmmm... this could go on the church sign, too.



Come to think of this, I could put this one by the baptistry.


Oh, look! An Easy Bark Oven!


Any last words before entering the Easy Bark Oven?


I've always wondered about the main ingredient in their dog sauce.


You might want to stay out of this place.



I'm not sure a drunk guy will bother to read this sign, but hope springs eternal.


Just like my bathroom at home.




Can I get that with a side of jerk chicken?


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to count that as my ab workout for today. Thanks for the laughs. HMH

Aimee said...

In Junior High I frequently wore a Painter's Hat with some sort of Chinese characters across the front (like the Karate Kid!) I shudder to think what I might have had emblazoned across my forehead...

Anonymous said...

you so funny

Trace said...

Me think you hysterical! :-)

Georgia said...

Nathan and I were reading all of these, and he wanted to refer you to this website!
dribbleglass.com/Jokes/translations.htm