Saturday, August 23, 2008

Tomorrow's Offering

Tomorrow we continue with our series that looks at biblical characters who took difficult stands for the sake of God. Tomorrow we will visit the relatively unknown Joanna, whom Luke twice mentions.Of course, tomorrow is also the beginning of our new service, The Table. I've had my moments of fear of about moving to three services and the changes that will bring to Grandview, but those moments have been replaced this week with anticipation. If I get a chance (later today), I'll post some pictures and a little video I took at the first practice for the Table on Wednesday night.

As we move into the next phase of worship services at Grandview, I will be inviting the Elders to lead the pastoral prayer. In two of the services I don't have a choice, I have to turn it over to others. The day is coming, though, when I will turn even the writing of the prayers of the church over to others. When that happens it will probably be time to re-evaluate my blog. In the aftermath of being on the Beeson adventure, the pastoral prayer has been, for me, the soul of this blog.

I appreciate your prayers for tomorrow's big adventure!

Prayers of the Church for Grandview

24 August 2008


God of power and might, the heavens and the earth declare your glory, pouring forth praise for the one who created all things, seen and unseen. The infinite reaches of space are not big enough to hold you. Miniscule beings at the bottom of the ocean are not small enough to escape your notice

And, yet, despite your power and glory, you know the pain of loss. You know the pain of loss because your word became flesh, lived among us, and felt the stabbing sting of spikes driven into that flesh. You stood by and allowed it to happen.

You could have punished humanity for treating your Son with such deplorable animosity, but you poured tears of grace into the deadly wounds that we inflicted upon your Son. You poured life into death; that empty urn that claims us all. And while we sealed the grave from the outside, you broke the seal from the inside!

We praise you for giving us life and life eternal. We praise you for being patient, despite your power, while humanity did the worst we could think to do to you.

We confess that we are too often afraid to embrace the same kind of love that you have shown us in the life and death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth. We are too ready to shrink from the challenge of participating in a love that is willing to suffer for others; from a love that is willing to let others suffer for the sake of making you better known to the world. We confess that we don’t even consider loving you that deeply because we get caught up in our selves and our needs and our wants.

In the silence, please accept the opening of our hearts before you, O God, the Fear of Isaac and the Hope of Humanity:

silence

Remember those who are on our prayer list this morning. The list is too big for each of us to know everyone on it. And so, overwhelmed by the need, we hold it up before your throne. Give healing, comfort, strength, protection, and new life to each person. Give a peaceful death to those who have come to that threshold.

Bless the institutions that exist for your kingdom’s purposes, especially Agape Women’s Services, Appalachian Christian Camp, Appalachian Christian Village, Christian Student Fellowship at ETSU, Emmanuel School of Religion, European Evangelistic Society, Higher Ministries, Interfaith Hospitality Network, Milligan College, and the Salvation Army.

We pray, O Lord, as your Son has taught us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so excited about tomorrow. I have a bit of sadness that I cannot be there for this day. I have been hoping and praying for this for a long time.

I praise god that this is now possible. You can expect a phone call for a full report very soon.

Get plenty of sleep.

Unknown said...

How blessed I've been to have received your prayer from Carol Norris....I will read and re-read it because it is a prayer that emantes (sp?) from my heart also....Thanks Aaron for the thought and the love that went into penning this!!!! Fondly, Kay Porter

Anonymous said...

I have been meaning to tell you how much I appreciated the sermon on Joanna. The question of where family falls in our devotion to God has been on my mind a lot lately. I think it still bears examination; God wants us to be good parents/children/sibling, etc, but he also wants us to serve him... If for instance, one of my parents was to have a terrible car wreck tomorrow, I would feel obligated to go take care of them- but I also think God wants me to be at Emmanuel! What to do? Your message has provoked all kinds of conversation in my circle of friends, and I'm glad.