Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Feels Like the First Time! (because it is)

Congratulations to Chris Leak and Company. The Gators were spectacular last night, making their alumni proud. This is the first time EVER that a school has held both the football and basketball National Championships at the same time. Amazing. It gives the Gators woofing rights that no other school has.

Special thanks go to my old roomie, Rob Dillard, for underwriting my journey to Gainesville this year to see the Gators play LSU. The Chompionship makes that visit even sweeter than it was before.

As I wrote when the Gators were chosen to go to the BCS title game, I'm especially pleased for Coach Meyer and Leak. Meyer has done this thing the right way and I found myself wondering, last night, how Marcus Thomas must feel (he was the great Gator defensive lineman who was kicked off the team this year for smoking marijuana). He must be shaking his head in disappointment. I hope somebody interviews him.

But this night belonged to Chris Leak. With the exception of the first part of the third quarter (some things don't change), he played smart and was a great leader.

The game opened in really strange way. Tony Ginn, Jr. was electric on the opening kickoff return. After scoring the touchdown, Ginn turned to the Gator section and shushed them . . . and then his own teammates injured him. Ginn was gone. This is the stuff of Greek tragedies. Hubris. Self-destruction. People of Troy .The Gators just had too many athletes for our friends from the great state of Ohio. Not only that, Meyer proved himself to be a big game coach on par with, if not better than, Tressel (it's too early in Meyer's career to say that definitively, but it looks like a good bet).
I knew it was the Gators' night when even our kicker was on. This guy has been a train wreck all season, but was 2 for 2 in this game. He should be able to grow old with more peace now.
Coach Tressel and Troy Smith continue to impress me despite the loss. Troy Smith is a good quarterback and leader. My least favorite commentator, Kirk Herbstriet, said that Smith looked "vacant" in his eyes. That's not what I saw. I saw a guy trying to keep his teammates up, a guy who was able to be loose and to laugh in the thick of battle, and a guy who tried to coach his teammates on the sideline. It's not his fault that the Gator defensive lineman were quicker than his O-Line. I like this kid, but I don't think he would have won the Heisman behind that offensive line if they had played in the SEC.
The bottom line is that SEC fans have been proven correct this time. We've said all year long that this is the toughest conference in the country. While it's true that SEC fans ALWAYS say that, this year we were right. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. By the way . . . I don't always say that the SEC is the best (I always THINK it, but I don't always say it).

And so . . . congrats to a fine football team and a fine university. It's Great to Be a Florida Gator.

PS: A message to Gator Basketball, "Tag, you're it."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How does Bryan look in your Gator's shirt? I think that should be a photo for your blog!
Connie

Anonymous said...

We almost called you at half-time but were afraid it was too late. Shows you what we know!!

Aaron said...

Chum, the bet would actually require Bryan wear some Michigan gear, but that's a pretty hideous thing for him to have to do. If he prefers Gator gear, I'll be fine.

Aunt Carol,
Thanks for thinking of me . . . but I'm VERY superstitious (I thought we would win because the only loss for UF this year was when I was not on the contitent.) A phone call might have jinxed the game.