Monday, August 21, 2006

Books for our Theology of Ministry Class

Well, my book reports are becoming less in-depth. Time constraints demand a more economical system of reporting! Our next full class begins Wednesday and our 12 page paper is due on the first day of class. The books you see below are the books we read for our 12 pager. I've listed them in order of provocative (or evocative) interest.


The Other Six Days is an excellent book. Most of us from the Stone-Campbell tradition will resonate with the call to recognize that scripture does not endorse any sort of clergy/laity distinction. This book is a call for the church to take seriously the priesthood of all believers--something I hope to a better job of supporting when I return to Grandview.

Some of my favorite quotes:
  • On the role of Trinitarian identity: "Churches and denominations tend to form around one of the three: Father-denominations emphasize reverent worship and stewardship. Son-denominations stress discipleship and evangelism thus furthering the work of the Kingdom of God. Spirit-denominations promote gifts and grace."
  • A quote I identified with: "Within evangelical Christianity there is a 'guidance-mania'--the fear of not being 'in the centre of God's will'. With a poor sense of God's purpose and a low sense of the civil vocation Christians today tend to focus on personal ministry and evangelism as the only true expressions of the called life."
  • "It is the clear teaching of the New Testament that the Spirit is poured out on the entire people of God for ethical living and neighborly service, not primarily for ecstatic experiences."
  • "Queen Elizabeth reigns but she does not rule. And many so-called Christians defer to the position of God as supreme ruler, but in actuality do not respond as subjects."


The Shaping of Things to Come
is a great and frustrating book. It calls for the church to embrace a new paradigm, one that rejects the old world Christendom (the belief that our culture is Christian and that the church will enjoy the benefits of being the "Big Dog" on the cultural scene). While the authors are right when they point out that Christendom is over and never lived up to the hopes the church had for it, they call for the church to abandon too much of her past (in my opinion). They don't allow for the possibility of the new paradigm, which they call "missional church" to exist alongside the old paradigm, which they call "attractional."

Interestingly, this is the very question the Grandview elders wrestled with during the last elders' retreat. We have much more thinking to do on this topic!

My favorite part of this book is its call for the recovery of a "Messianic Spirituality." Some good quotes:

  • "Not many in Christendom articulated a robust life-affirming spirituality of engagement."
  • "One of the great strengths of the Jewish people throughout history has been their sheer love of life. L'chaim (to life!)"
  • "Passion is only evil when it remains in the directionless state, when it refuses to be subject to holy direction, when it will not accept the direction that leads toward God."


Ministry in the Image of God: I've already reviewed this book. Just look earlier in my blogging if you're interested!

Wounds That Heal: This book, written by Dr. Seamands, is the kind of book you read with an eye toward your own baggage. We all minister best out of our brokenness. Enjoy!


Come, Creator Spirit: Cantalamessa is the priest to the Pope . . . and is rumored to be visiting our class in the Spring. This book is based on the Roman Catholic hymn, Veni Creator, and inspirations one my get on the Holy Spirit when studying the hymn.


Pastor: I love William Willimon . . . but this book is the opposite of the priesthood of all believers. This book is about the priesthood of all pastors. "Lay people" need not apply when it comes to handling the sacred life of the church. I suspect Dr. Seamands (our instructor) stuck this one on our list in the interest of equal time and counterpoint considerations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent quote The Other Six Days regarding denominational loyalty to Father/Son/Spirit. Well worth my pondering.

Our church library has the Seamands book; Fara's been reading the elder Seamands' books of late. I may have to check this one out.

Someday when all your fancy edufication is finally over, I'll share a book with you that I just finished. I wanted badly to hate it and knew I would...but didn't: Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell.

Aaron said...

I've started, but not finished the Velvet Elvis book. Robbie gave me a copy of it on CD (robbie, I still have that!). I'll try to listen to it on my next big drive.

Besides, I'm thinking of writing a follow-up book called, "Dogs Playing Poker."