Thursday, August 17, 2006

Churches Birthing Churches

Today (Thursday) our special guest lecturer is Dr. Richard Hunter. Richard is a United Methodist pastor from the Atlanta area. He is currently serving the Methodist Church in Snellville, Georgia. He stepped out of the field in order to share with us the method of "birthing" churches that he has been a part of developing for his area.This particular process was conceived (if I may continue the metaphor) while he was serving Hillside United Methodist Church. This church had outgrown its facilities but did not want to leave its location. Also, to enlarge the building would have brought their ministries into conflict with the surrounding area.
They began birthing churches using some of the methods he has been sharing with us today (I'm at lunch right now). I suspect our time after lunch will be just as good.

This stuff isn't altogether new to those of us in the Christian church. I remember my grandparents committing to Kingsway Christian Church (which meant leaving Chapel Rock Christian Church). However, as with anything, you can learn a lot by listening to someone who is doing it presently.
The Hillside Church has now birthed four congregations. He says that within six months of birthing their first church they found that they replaced the members who were sent (numerically, not relationally).


While he was speaking, I grew homesick for Grandview so I "Google Earthed" it. If you haven't done that, try it. If you look closely at the satellite shot of Grandview's building you can see the church van and , in the corner of the parking lot, I'm pretty sure that's Carla McKinney's car!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm telling Dr. Hunter that you're Googling during his lecture! And, by the way, school is getting better, because all I could do was doodle during lectures!!
Connie

Aaron said...

Oh, did I say, "While he was speaking"? I MEANT, "while we were on BREAK"! Sorry for the mistake.