Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Solomon's Porch



It's high time for me to introduce you to Solomon's Porch, a small coffee and sandwich shop on Main Street in Wilmore. It is within walking distance of our Beeson housing and our Beeson classroom. That makes it especially nice to drink coffee there because . . . well, gas isn't cheap (though it's still cheaper than bottled water--and coffee, for that matter).The price of one cup of coffee gets you two refills when you are staying to sit and read or write. The cups, you will notice, are not huge. I only go when I have time to drink the three cups of coffee. I think that makes Tim, the owner, a little skittish about me.Speaking of Tim, here he is. He and his wife bought Solomon's Porch about two years ago (I think) from Ben Witherington III, who is a professor at Asbury Theological Seminary, an author of books on the search for the historical Jesus, and a guy you will occasionally see on those Discovery or PBS specials on things biblical (they usually only show those around Christmas and Easter, so you won't get to see him on there any time soon).

I usually read two books at a time. After all, I have two eyes, two hands, and too much coffee.
This is one of my Beeson classmates, Nolan. He has a blog as well, you can click on the following link to check it out: (www.nolandonald.blogspot.com). Nolan is so newly married that he and his wife, Susanna, are still eating rice that was thrown as they ran to their car. He finds it helpful to escape the carrels once in awhile, go to Solomon's Porch, and just keep on reading. If you're in Wilmore, let me recommend Solomon's Porch as a fine establishment that ministers to students like Nolan and me who do better in all areas of our lives if we have a coffee shop to provide nurture and sustenance. If you come by give Tim an extra quarter and say, "This is in case you're losing money on Aaron."

Actually . . . Tim's wife is named "Erin," so it might be better if you're more descriptive, but please be kind in your description. I'm very sensitive--even when I'm not there to hear what you say.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Aaron, I went to Nolan's blog- he gets like 4-8 comments for every entry! I'll do the best I can at adding comments, but you really just need to steal some of his readers!!
Connie

Aaron said...

Chum,

Well . . . Nolan's really cool. Shoot, I wouldn't blame you if you started leaving messages for him INSTEAD of me!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I already did!! Did you know that for every 15 comments posted on his blog you get a free Nolan Rocks T-shirt?! I'm wearing mine now!
Connie