Monday, September 24, 2007

Monday Miscellaneous

I am ashamed to tell you that I was out-maneuvered by my daughter, Cora, in a conversation last night. Cindy took Cora to see the Barlow Girls and TobyMac in concert while I was at the East Tennessee Christian Convention and while her sisters were at church.

"How was the concert?" I asked.

"Awesome." She said. Being a pestering father, I decided not to stop there.

"Oh honey, I'm sorry it was awful."

"No, Dad. Awesome!"

"Were you full of awe?" I asked, going in an obvious direction.

"Some." She said, with a smile.Yesterday was a good day around here. Last night's East Tennessee Christian Convention was excellent. Rick Rusaw, of Lifebridge Christian Church in Longmont, Colorado was the featured guest and speaker. Rusaw wrote the book, The Externally Focused Church.

I've already written quotes from his book into my dissertation, but now I have more fodder. I think this guy is right on target with what he says. I attended the workshop at 4:30 and then the worship service at 7pm.
Below is a picture of the workshop.I had the pleasure of giving the communion meditation before we shared in the Lord's Supper. While we were taking of the bread and the cup, however, the fire alarms went off and we had to clear the church building (First Christian Church, Johnson City). I then received some good nature criticism for "blowing smoke" in my meditation. The good news is that there was no fire, just a faulty alarm system. I know that had to drive the staff at FCC crazy. Things like that can make you feel like it was an awful evening.

But it was a fine evening, and I'm off now to go hear Rusaw again. More later...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I spoke with a good friend last night who attends FCC in JC. She told me about the fire alarm going off. She also mentioned that you did a fantastic job with the communion meditation. :)

Aaron said...

Melissa,

Thanks. It was fun to get together with area churches--even if it was in the parking lot!