Friday, March 02, 2007

Disasters in Alabama, Peace in Wilmore

While my Beeson brothers are in Mongtomery, Alabama braving tornados and Dr. Dale Galloway, I remain in Wilmore tinkering away on my dissertation. If you want a first hand report, I refer you to Scott Layer's blog.

Having this week to focus on my project has been invaluable. I've tried to redeem the time. On Tuesday I met with Dr. Stacey Minger. She's the dissertation guru here. Any information you get from Stacey moves you along in the process. Very helpful.

On Wednesday I met with Dr. Michael Pasquarello, who is my second reader. It was my first chance to sit down with him and give him a sense of where I'm going with things. He recommended a book for it. I've only just started reading it, but it is insightful so far. The book is titled, Live to Tell , by Brad J. Kallenberg.

It was a good thing to bring him on board. He and my dissertation mentor, Dr. Lowe, are very different when it comes to how they view the church. Pasquarello is in the Duke (Hauerwas and Willimon) mode while Lowe is partial to the Willow Creek models (I've simplified their views too much, but hopefully you get the idea). Between the two of them I'll be challenged from opposite ends of the spectrum.

On Thurdsay I met with Dr. Joel Green. This had nothing to do with my dissertation. I just wanted to get to know him before leaving Asbury. I knew I would regret it if I didn't try. The guy is a genius. Also, we have a common appreciation for Dr. Loren Stuckenbruck at the University of Durham (in the UK). Green spent a sabbatical over there.

Cindy and the girls went to Disney on Ice last night (Thursday night--I'll try to post a few pictures later), so I had all evening to focus on the dissertation as well.

So . . . that's my week. I'm thankful for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you've made some real progress on your diss. That's great! And we're glad you stayed safe in KY. (btw, I wholeheartedly agree w/ your comments about sensational biblical arch. & the Oscars!)

We definitely miss you all @ GCC & we're looking forward to seeing you all home. ...RDR

Herbie Miller said...

Kallenberg is a sound scholar. I used some of his work on MacIntyre and practices for my ESR thesis. Keep me posted on how the book turns out.