Friday, March 30, 2007

I'm a Seoul Man!

The Beeson Pastors had a fascinating day in a fascinating place. I am enjoying watching Korea unfold before me as something more than the backdrop for the old television show M.A.S.H.

The plane trip was fine, though I discovered that a flight to England is brief compared to the one we had yesterday. I have never sat for so long in my life, not even on New Year’s Day when college football is in full bloom.

We flew over the polar ice caps; at least I think we did, it was frozen ocean all the way. I have never seen anything like it. I found myself marveling at the fact that we could see such things so quickly and in so much comfort. We were well fed and highly entertained. Each seat has its own screen and the passenger selects whatever movie, television show, music, or video game he or she is interested in absorbing. It’s a bit much, really, but its also nicer than having to sit through Uncle Buck as the only viewing option.

It was raining when we arrived and we went straight to Kwanglim Methodist Church’s seminar house, which is a retreat center a little over two hours from the airport (the airport is in Inchon). The retreat facility is nice. The heat in the rooms has two settings, BAKE and OFF. Trust me, if you come here, you want OFF. Bryan and I woke up this morning smelling like bacon.

After breakfast we all went to Seoul Girl’s Commercial High School. It is a high school that prepares young women for careers in business. It was begun in 1926 as a normal Seoul high school institution, but became a Christian school about 18 years ago when Kwanglim Methodist Church took it over.

It was a charming place. We were first whisked into their new technology lab, where we met the faculty and checked our email.

After that the students treated us to a display of Korean dress and customs, especially the custom of the deep bow. Some of our people put on local Korean clothing and became a part of the show.

The young women of the school then tried to teach us to do some Korean calligraphy. I am afraid my penmanship is not what it should be.

Then the choir treated us to some beautiful music in the chapel. They performed along with a creative movement/dance team that really seemed to enjoy being a part of the event. They all seemed very sweet.

Then we had lunch. It was, and I a bit embarrassed to say this, KFC. Not that I don’t appreciate the food, but it is a bit tragic to travel the globe to eat stuff you don’t want to eat at home.

Next the bus driver whisked us away to Kwanglim Methodist Church. This is the largest Methodist Church in the world, with an attendance of around 35,000. They sponsor and pay for this trip for us; probably because their pastor, Jung Suk Kim, is a Beeson Pastor graduate.

They gave us a caffeine pick-me-up and then sent us on home visitation with their associate pastors. These guys are amazing. Bryan and I were sent with Cho, who does about 10 of these visits, four days a week. Basically, every member gets a visit every year. They come to the house, receive a list of prayer concerns and an envelope with the offering in it. Then they chat a bit, sings two hymns together, and the pastor preaches a personal sermon for the person he is visiting. Once that is over there is a time of prayer for that person and her family. The member then gets up, brings in a tray of various kinds of rice cakes, fruit, and tea. After everyone has had their fill, they exchange gifts.

He does this about 40 times a week, every week. Amazing.

Our families were gracious and it was quite an honor to be allowed in to such a time, and then even asked to pray and to read scripture.

On the way back to the church we met Cho’s wife and daughter and Cho asked us to pray for their child who is due to arrive in a few months.

Once back at Kwanglim Methodist, Kim walked us through his vision for the church.

After that we were off to supper at … you guessed it … Bennigan’s. The food portion of our trip just could not be more tragic at this point. I haven’t had any Korean food yet. That will change tomorrow, I’m sure of it.

I’m just beginning to process what we’ve seen, though I have a few observations. The first is that I am amazed at the hours these ministers keep. Cho arrives at the church building before 5 am most days, to lead the prayer service. He usually does not get home until after 7 or 8 pm. And, yet, these are not haggard looking pastors. If they are not joyful, it is not obvious to the outsider.

Making any judgments, by the way, as a short time visitor would be foolish, but I can say a few things. The church in Korea has enjoyed something that looks like a golden age to me. It also looks like that golden age is being threatened by the same things that are threatening the church in America—the golden age of big city life and all of its trappings. Youth are not flocking to the church and now the church is having to experiment with non-traditional ways to speak the gospel to them.

Well, that’s enough for tonight. It’s late here and my internal clock is totally out of wack.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aaron:

Thanks for the update -- it's great to have a slight taste of what's going on in Korea.

In several places you mentioned prayer. Does this discipline seem to have a higher priority there than here? God be praised if so.

Speaking of which, you remain in my prayers, Friend. I ask that God give you eyes to see and, pardon the expression, steal from what you experience in Korea. God's peace, Aaron.