Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Preaching Day . . . and stuff

Today was a preaching class and we got to hear four sermons . . . in a row. Alicia was the lead-off hitter. We're all preaching on the Sermon on the Mount right now. Alicia's section was on letting your "yes be yes and your no be no." As always her personality shined through an excellent sermon. Next up was Bryan "The Buckeye" Bucher. His sermon was about turning the other cheek and Jesus' teaching on how to "untangle life." He's a great storyteller. He had us in the palm of his hand. One thing I can say for him that I can't say for the Buckeyes? He brought it for the whole sermon (I was worried that he would fade after his 16 second introduction). Jason preached on loving our enemies and praying for those who persecute us. He opened with a story about exploding soda bottles and being a baaaaad husband. He told it well. The news about him is that he appears to be headed into the North Alabama conference of the UMC when we leave here.Here's Scott Wright. He's like your uncle who gambles. He shows up. Is a lot of fun. Says great stuff. Then he leaves. Bye, Uncle Scott. We'll miss you. By the way, he preached on Abraham's call.
Here are some bonus pictures of the family. Everybody is doing well.


Oh, and I found a great reading spot for the mornings. Quiet, enclosed, but airy. That's all for now.

2 comments:

bryan said...

I think you captured my good side in that picture.

16 seconds and then he fades.... gotta admit that was pretty funny. CRUEL BEYOND ALL MEASURE, but funny.

TG said...

Worlds collide. Ok, you don't know me. I just literally stumbled upon your blog. It's so strange, b/c of all the connections I've had with stuff you have written about. I used to work at Chapelwood UMC in Houston. My husband went to Gateway Community Church (UMC) back when it was called Abundant Life. I was an intern at the Louisiana Tech Wesley Foundation, of which Scott Wright is still the director. Hey - he even married my husband and I. AND, Alicia is the former minister at our current church, Clear Lake UMC. Well...guess to go with all the coincidences I should add that I have been accepted to Asbury twice (but never attended) and also visited Ecclesia on many occasions. Oh, and we attended the contemplative service every week like at Chapelwood. Jim Jackson's great! Weird, huh? Anyway, like your blog and reading your stuff. Are you following me? Ha Ha! Take care and may God bless you and your family during this time.