Monday, March 19, 2007

My Friend, Tom

The year was 1992 and I had never held a ministry position. Cindy and I were preparing to move to Johnson City, Tennessee in order to become students at Emmanuel. Meghan was about six months old and we had no idea how we were going to handle finances, child care, or the rigors of seminary.

I was not an attractive candidate for the available youth ministries in the area. I had no experience. Th recruiter for Emmanuel School of Religion told me to call Tom, the minister at Central Christian Church in Jonesborough, Tennessee.

I called. Tom answered. I told him why I was calling. He said, "I'm changing my daughter's diaper right now. Can I get you to call me back in about five minutes?"

Tom and Central Christian took a chance on me and I became their youth minister for the next three years. The times were good and bad at Central. One of the good things was that Tom and I became friends.

The early 90s seem like a long time ago, now. Tom has moved on to become a hospice chaplain in Asheville. In the meantime I've lived in Florida, Tennessee, and Kentucky.

Why am I telling you this? Because as I type (Tuesday night at 7pm), there is a healing service in Asheville, N.C. for Tom. He has been diagnosed with ALS, better known as Lou Gehrig's disease. He has two daughters, one in high school and one in middle school. If you think of it, please pray for him.

Carol Norris (who is becoming a regular contributor to this blog!) sent me this link today. It is an article Tom wrote for the Citizen-Times paper in Asheville, N.C.

May God heal Tom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I continue to lift of Tom and to pray boldly for his healing. Our God does miracles -- he even conquers death.

God's peace upon you, Tom, and your family. You are well loved.

Aaron said...

Thanks, Nate. I appreciate your prayers and I know Tom does too.