Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Korea Bound

I'm hoping to have time for one more post this evening, but just in case I don't, I thought I'd update the blog. We leave for Seoul, Korea bright and early on Wednesday morning. I was hoping to see Dirk DiSantis in Korea, but I talked to him yesterday and he's home (actually, we already knew we would just miss each other).I'm particularly looking forward to "Prayer Mountain." This is a retreat center where past classes have been given the opportunity to spend the night in prayer. I've tried to listen closely when previous Beeson students have talked to us and one thing I've picked up is that Prayer Mountain winds up being an important night. The Korean Church is well known for their emphasis on prayer--they have prayer services every morning at 5am.

I got to know one of the Korean students who attended Emmanuel. He told me that you can't be a pastor in Korea if you can't get up at 4:30am. I asked him what time he goes to bed. He said midnight. Amazing. Don't look for me to be interviewing for any positions while I'm over there.
I've never traveled to this area of the world, so I'm anxious to experience it. If you think of it, pray for our time there. This trip represents, in many ways, the end of the Beeson experience. Classmates will begin scattering to Houston, Ohio, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, and Lexington pretty soon after we return.
Don't expect any posts over the coming week. We don't have internet access where we're staying. I will try to get to a computer at some point (need to find out how the Gators do!), but I'll try to take enough pictures to bore you out of your skulls.

Besides Seoul, we'll be going to the DMZ where we will get to experience the physical expression of the North-South tensions in Korea.

After we return to Kentucky Scott and I will travel to East Tennessee together to meet up with our families. I get to be at Grandview on Easter morning!

Have a great week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaron, if you have a land line available in Japan, I can call it during the game (if it's a reasonable hour for you!) and give you updates. I have a prepay plan specifically for overseas calling.

Aaron said...

Thanks, Amber. You're great . . . but I'll just add this to my lenten discipline! A Final Four blockout. tsk tsk.