Wednesday, April 25, 2007

An Evening at the Track (or, Understanding Band Parents)

Last night I really enjoyed being an official timer for Meghan's track meet. Spending a little time around the West Jessamine Track team has been an eye-opener for me. I finally understand things like band parents. Band parents have always been a mystery to me.

When I was in high school the band parents were ubiquitous. They were crawling around the Pike High School band like evangelists on airplanes. When we marched in a parade in Hawaii there were band parents who were kind enough to walk alongside me during my four-mile-trombone-hike. They walked with us in order to spritz us with water to keep us from overheating (it was hot and we were in our Indiana wools--seriously, two horses DIED during the parade). I appreciated the spritzing, but I couldn't imagine why these parents would be so into the band. I was only doing it for the trip to Hawaii.

But this year has taught me a thing or two. I understand now. When I walk back into a track meet I am flooded with fond memories of running track in middle school and high school. When I see the kids running, even the slow ones, I can't help but pull for each of them. For some reason winning isn't the point, just doing your best and finishing strong (maybe that's because I didn't win a lot of races!).

I find myself wanting to help make the the track meet go well. Need some hurdles moved? I'm your man. Need somebody to run to the other side of the track and pick up starting blocks left in lane three? No problem. Happy to do it.

It all makes sense now. I'm a track nerd.

Enough about me--let's talk about Meghan. I took my hand off the stopwatch long enough to snap a couple pictures of Meghan as she prepared to race last night. She did a great job.

Here she is preparing for her leg of the 4X100 relay. She was the lead-off runner.
Here she is wondering why I don't put the camera away and get back to timing.Here she is trying to get away from me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.