Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Sunday at Yoido Full Gospel Church

After leaving Kwanglim Methodist Church's Sunday morning worship service, and after a nice lunch at Kwanglim, we went across town to the Yoido Full Gospel Church. This church is famous for being the largest in the world. Pastor Cho used small groups to grow this church into a behemoth megachurch.

The service we attended is geared younger than the earlier services. The music, though, was reminiscent of 80s style.

This is a church that speaks in tongues. Interestingly (and I didn't get video of any of this), there are only certain times during the service when this is encouraged. When the leader signals it's okay, a wave of prayer rises up--like a wind. Then, when the time is over, the signal is given and everyone stops.

I offer this account with one caveat: I don't know for sure that they were speaking in tongues--they could have simply been praying out loud in their native tongue. I wouldn't have known the difference.

I enjoyed the experience of attending Yoido, although by the that time on Sunday afternoon I was about churched out.

Now . . . "I will give you a saaaaaaample."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The wave of prayer may have been the same thing I experienced in India. Bana Uriah explained they practice a 'mass prayer,' and -on cue- the congregation and ministers all had rather fervent prayer out loud. Very different than anything I have experienced in any of our US churches.