Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Paper or Plastic?

Wilmore boasts one grocer. Like many small towns , the local grocery store is an IGA. I've always presumed that stands for Independent Grocers Association, but I could be wrong.

Stepping into the Wilmore IGA I get an amazing feeling of deja' vu. I have memories of being in Fishers, Indiana, with my Grandma Wymer. We get out of her tiny, red, Toyota. She carries her cigarette into the store with her. I look greedily at the candy shelf.

I took pictures of the IGA tonight because I wonder how many more times I will get to walk into a store of this sort. The day is coming when a slick, new, store will come to Wilmore and the IGA will go away.One of the reasons slick, new, grocery stores drive old ones out of business is that you find very few "modern" groceries that hang bug zappers in the aisles.
Can you imagine, though, a Kroger that doesn't use every last millimeter of shelf space? Your local IGA will throw $1 kites down sideways and wait for you to decide to buy it.

The Kellogg's mobile looks like it could be leftover from the Ford administration. I can't remember the last time Raisin Bran used the "two scoops of raisins " song. Tony the Tiger is so faded that he looks like he could be wearing UT orange.The "throw-back" decor is part of the overall theme of the store. They appear to have saved as much of the memorabilia as they could.
And it isn't just product logos and mascots, it's also old typewriters, televisions, radios, and gizmos.
The deli counter has several kinds of bologna and a little table for eating. I've never been there during lunch so I don't know if people actually eat-in. It kind of looks like fun . . . but I get the feeling I would need to be smoking filterless Camels (and that would get me kicked out of school--and out of my house!).
The first time I walked into this IGA I grew nostalgic for the past. Then I stood in line for 15 minutes while the store owner/clerk was forced to wander to the other open lane (there are never more than two open at once) and jimmy with the cash register.

Part of me wants to continue this blog by comparing and contrasting the modern "Super Wal-Mart" church and the old-school "IGA" church . . . but Thanksgiving is tomorrow and I don't feel like being tedious.

Have a great Turkey day! To those of you in Johnson City, I look forward to seeing you on Sunday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. You made me homesick...for a minute or two. Then I remembered I actually like options when I shop.

Ah, good ol' Coquille, how I miss thee...more or less.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you'd miss this store, in an dimension for any reason. An end to an era? I say, "Praise God! Let the new era begin."

Anonymous said...

Sassy and anonymous - my favorite combo!