Thursday, June 07, 2007

The Gator?Magic?Gator Basketball Coach Saga


Now that everything is official, it's time for me to say a word or two about the Billy Donovan shenanigans down in Florida. Billy is pictured above in his new job as Papa John's delivery boy. "Yes, I'll take a large with championships, hold the excuses."
  • My friend and yours, Buckeye Bryan, was quick to call me and to let me know that Donovan had left Florida--so quick that he was the one who broke the news to me (I was still in a moving truck). You know how the Bible says in 1 Corinthians that "love is patient and kind and doesn't delight when the other person suffers, etc..." Well, obviously Bryan doesn't love me--especially since he hasn't called me back to tell me how impressed he is that Donovan loved being a Gator so much that he was willing to look the fool and then to miss out on millions of dollars in order to return. Welcome home, Billy (even if the circumstances are awkward).
  • This event shows the meaninglessness of contracts in today's sporting environment. Billy signed one--a big one--and then walked away. Pro athletes do this all of the time, they sign then decide it wasn't big enough and become "hold-outs." It's crazy. I mean, really, have you ever tried to get out of a cell phone or health club contract? It ain't happening. I need better representation!
  • For the record, I wasn't upset when Donovan left. He gave the Gators 3 Final Four appearances and 2 National Championships in 11 years. He owes the Gators nothing (now, the Orlando Magic are a different story--he owes them big time).
  • Lastly, I'm still not an NBA guy, but because I love Buckeye Bryan, I'm pulling for the Cavs. LeBron James is just amazing in terms of how mature he is at only 22 years of age. When you look at the life he was handed as a boy, you can only marvel at his stability. That's not to praise him for everything in his life (he's getting ready to be a father of two and still isn't the husband of anybody), but I'm willing to watch how he continues to develop. Besides, if Buckeye Bryan doesn't get some kind of championship to cheer about soon then life is going to get angry and sorrowful at his church--and we can't have that. Go Cavs!

2 comments:

bryan said...

Donovan was just trying to get out before the big scandal of Florida boosters paying all of those basketball and football players blows wide open. After that goes down, the next press conference you'll see Donovan introduced at is as the new coach of the NBDL team in Fort Wayne.

And, for the record, much like the Bucks b-ball team, the Cavs being in the finals is wholly unexpected, and victory in itself. To watch the young guys (Boobie, Sasha, and the Wild Thing) step up has been as much fun this playoff season as watching LeBron come of age. Anyhow, no worries about me flogging my lay-leaders. There is much satisfaction in the land of Buckeye... and much love for Pastor Wymer.

But the Gators still suck.

Aaron said...

Bryan is right about one thing:
The Gators still suck national championships away from Ohio State.