Thursday, July 13, 2006

DM844 Preaching with Dr. Ellsworth Kalas

I took this picture as surreptitiously as I could (with my phone), and it makes Dr. Kalas look rather stern. I should receive a lower grade just for posting this picture. He is an amazingly gracious and genuine man. I could listen to him talk for hours (ohh, wait, I WILL listen to him talk for hours). We will be meeting twice a week for most of the year. It is in his class that I will be forced to hear the things all of you who hear me preach would love to tell me but are too nice to say (thanks, by the way, I kind of prefer it that way).

Maybe, if I do well in the class, I can talk him into preaching for us at Grandview. I'll just tell him we don't have any Methodist churches near us--never mind that I could walk to three without breaking a sweat.

The only thing bad about the class is that there are maintenance issues on campus right now that make the preaching chapel (where we meet) cold enough to hang meat. My core body temperature drops so low that I take notes by breathing on the desk and then writing in the mist.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Aaron,
We are looking at using Dr. Kalas's _Old Testament Stories from the Backside_ as part of the college curriculum this fall. I will keep you posted on our progress. Thanks for posting the blog. What a great idea to foster connectedness.
Blessings,
Heather Hoover

Aaron said...

Hey, Heather!

I'm glad to hear that you're using Kalas' book. He really is a joy to be around.

Thanks for reading the blog--no proofreading, please!

We miss you guys. I sure would enjoy a dip in the enemy of all creatures great and small that is your pool.

Aaron