Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The New Usual--July 19

Just as water seeks its own level, life is finding its new routine as we inch past the newness of our experience and into the daily grind of studies. Travis isn't really sleeping in the above picture, he's just striking a pose--though I had to get anti-bacterial spray to clean up the drool.
They give us lots of breaks when we are in class. Not only that, they provide SNACKS for all of the breaks. Here Dr. Martyn, Alicia, and Nolan enjoy conversation along with sweets and savories.
I get going each morning by reading, sometimes at the local coffee shop (I'll have to supply some pictures of that!), and sometimes on a balcony outside of the Beeson Manor hotel. I read until class starts. Dr. Martyn's class started at 9am every day. I have the distinction of being late on the very first day of class--nothing like making a good first impression.

That's okay, though, because he was teaching about spirituality and . . . well . . . grace is such a large part of Christian spirituality that I was the first example of one who receives grace. The class is over now. We met for the last time yesterday. That means that today and tomorrow we return to Dr. Kalas' preaching class.

Again, I can't seem to get a good picture of the man. I'm just going to have to ask him to pose for me. This taking pictures secretly doesn't produce great results when you're worried you'll get caught.

Last night we went to a large bookstore in Lexington. It was pretty cool. It's called "Joe" something. A lot of people know about it, I'm just drawing a blank right now. Here is Cora standing in front of the water fountain that's just outside the store. She threw a penny in the fountain and made a wish, but I'm not allowed to tell you what it was. So, as you can see, there is no one thing dominating my time right now. I read, I write, I spend time with the family, I play racquetball, I run, and I blog!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh. You finally made it to Joseph-Beth Booksellers. I fell in love with the place when I lived in Lexington. Then, about a year before Jim and I moved away from Cincinnati, a sister store was built about six blocks away from where we lived. We spent a lot of time there.

I think J-B is the largest, independently owned bookseller in the country, or something like that. (Why I hold on to this trivia, I don't know . . .)

Aaron said...

Theresa,
When the girls read the blog they said, "Joseph-Beth, dad, can't you remember anything?" I loved the natural light and the space.

Cindy bought me the new Johnny Cash CD while we were there!

Thanks for recommending the Taj Mahal of bookstores.

Wesley said...

Aaron, either you are now 6' 5" or you took that picture of Travis hanging from the ceiling. I'm going to take the latter. Nice work, agent...you got the sleeper! [Or the guy pretending to sleep...]

Anonymous said...

Joseph-Beth in Lexington is one of my favorite bookstores. Sadly I only got to visit when I was in Lexington visiting parishioners in the hospitals....

Aaron said...

Wes,

Didn't I tell you? I shot-up after leaving the youth ministry . . . I'm 6'8" now!